The role of distributions &/or Unix flavors, where does pkg management stands - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 17 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(29-03-2020, 08:54 PM)ckester Wrote: I'm curious to know what kind of problems you encountered.

I tried to build my own Linux distro, statically linked against musl. GCC cannot be compiled statically anymore for example, just because of libstdc++, unless you're ready to loose your sanity and a full year dedicated to it.

Another thing is that the work required to patch stuff is tremendous. Static linking require that you link them in the dependency order for example, and nobody takes that into account anymore, so to compile it, you must patch it.
Except many programs now use auto-tools or cmake, which generate the makefiles for you. Handy, but don't bother with the order. Good luck patching that. They might make use of pkgconfig, except when they don't. And even then you will have to patch it because something else will be fucked.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The role of distributions &/or Unix flavors, where does pkg management stands - by z3bra - 31-03-2020, 05:56 PM