Wayland server libraries: wlroots, libweston, swc - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
mcol
Nixers
wio looks awesome. I'm surprised to hear it took a while to get one started. Were there particular issues you had? I found just running some in a TTY started a session (although I didn't try that many, and most of them were wlroots based).

(03-11-2020, 12:23 PM)z3bra Wrote: I'll be taking notes here along the way: gopher://z3bra.org/1/notes/wayland (HTTP).
Nice, just read through, and will check again every now and then!

The Wayland Book is really good, super useful, and I've found it complements the small example compositors in the wlroots repository (which, of course, are specific examples of wlroots usage). I have found that wlroots is not that much "higher level" than libwayland, which I'm happy about for two reasons. First, while I learn both I don't feel like I'm missing out much by only writing wlroots stuff, and second, it means that once I've got some basic stuff going and got my head around things it looks like it would actually be totally feasible to ditch wlroots and just use libwayland. Maybe I'm wrong though.

In any case, if you haven't already read them I highly recommend the examples folder within the wlroots for seeing how a specific thing might be implement.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wayland server libraries: wlroots, libweston, swc - by mcol - 08-11-2020, 11:52 AM