New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
As it was the case for OpFez, 2020 was the year I finally got into programming. I learned a lot of stuff and created virtually all the software projects I have created. Got my programs packaged in a lot of repos (Free/DragonFly/NetBSD, GuixSD, Nix, to name a few) and that was really nice to see people using my software in the wild. Now and then I see someone using xmenu on /g/ desktop thread, and it is really satisfying to see that.

It was the year I have read a larger number of books than the any other year. It was the year I have learned the most.

Oh! That was also the year I moved from Linux to OpenBSD. What motivated me were the manuals. After getting into C programming I began to refer to the manuals and I found OpenBSD's ones to be more terse and complete than Linux ones. After moving, I had discovered two small bugs on OpenBSD's code, and that were my first contribution ever to a free software. The feeling of discovering your first bug in a big project is really satisfying, lol.

Now, my resolutions for 2021:
  • Learn golang. I have bought Kernighan's book, but I have not had the opportunity to read from cover to cover.
  • Learn more about programming in UNIX. I have bought Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment and read some chapters.
  • Read more. I have a pile of books on my desk just waiting to be read, including those two.
  • Write more software. I have some ideas of new software to write in 2021. The first is a dock/bar for X11 that works like FVWMButtons (a module of fvwm), which swallow windows to be docked in a bar. The second is a TUI table/list manager that could be used as a file browser, mail user agent, news reader/aggregator, etc. The third is a window manager. I have already written one, but it was too buggy (although I'm still using it rn).
  • Get a job. I really need one.
  • Get vaccinated.

Messages In This Thread
New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by venam - 04-01-2021, 04:12 AM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by jkl - 04-01-2021, 05:07 AM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by wolf - 06-01-2021, 03:43 AM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by mcol - 16-01-2021, 04:27 PM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by jkl - 18-01-2021, 08:59 AM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by seninha - 18-01-2021, 03:27 PM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by pfr - 24-01-2021, 11:50 PM
RE: New Year Resolutions [2021 Edition] - by jkl - 03-12-2021, 08:12 AM