pass, gnupg, managing keys and migrating password-store - Security & Cryptography

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pfr
Nixers
Hi all, a bit of a noob question here, but when it comes to gnupg and just using gpg keys in general I know nothing.

I have been using GNU 'pass' to manage my passwords for some time now. Generally I will just consult an internet cheat-sheet when setting it up and I have no real idea what I'm doing.

What I'd like is to keep my .password-store in a git repository, and access it from multiple devices (laptops/phones) making it easier to keep each device in sync.

Currently I have 2 laptops, both with pass set up with different gpg keys.

So my questions are:
  • Is there any security concern in keeping your .password-store in a git repo?
  • How do I change the gpg key used on my .password-sore and can I simply copy the keys via USB to my different devices?
  • How do I set the .password-store destination so that pass can look in the git repo and not in my home folder?
I have read over the man pages, but honestly it just a little over my head and I don't want to risk loosing my passwords.

I did try to run $ pass git init but after that I'm not sure what to do. The man page gives the example:
$ pass git remote add origin kexec.com:pass-store and I'm not sure is I should be copying this or what? I tried it once and it broke so not doing that again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)

Messages In This Thread
pass, gnupg, managing keys and migrating password-store - by pfr - 11-03-2021, 08:41 AM