Nixers Book Club - Book #3: The Wayland Book - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
movq
Long time nixers
(21-03-2021, 03:45 AM)movq Wrote: 2.4: Atomicity.

That, of course, complicates things. For example, this blog post of Drew mentions (in the footnotes) a common scenario in sway: Changing the tiling layout. That requires resizing all currently visible clients and we want to do that atomically. An X11 WM like dwm just loops over the clients, resizes them, done. Sway has to “reach deeper into our shell implementations to atomically syncronize the resizing of several clients at once”. Not sure what that means, haven’t read the code.

On the other hand, there’s probably nothing that forces you to do this in that scenario (tiling WM changing its layout). It’s just that sway wants to provide as much atomicity as possible, I guess.

(Another thing I just realized: You can’t really enforce atomicity anyway. sway might resize/move/whatever my terminal emulator atomically, okay, good. But the terminal then tells, let’s say, Vim that the window has been resized. That’s done using SIGWINCH, which takes some time to be emitted and processed. I’m not saying Wayland’s efforts to promote atomicity are pointless, but it’s still something to keep in mind.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nixers Book Club - Book #3: The Wayland Book - by movq - 23-03-2021, 01:51 PM