Nixers Book Club - Book #6: Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
(30-10-2021, 09:14 AM)RoastPotatoes Wrote: Interested in joining in with this. Have no experience with plan 9 but it looks interesting!
If I want to test it out what would you recommend? I know there's a couple of forks and different projects/continuations. And can I just spin up a virtual machine?

I also have no experience with plan 9, but I am having fun playing with it.
I'm using 9front (for no reason in special). Its manual, although full of unrelated pictures, explains the installation process in details.

I first tried to install it in Qemu. But I did not like how qemu grabs the cursor... I want to freely navigate between my windows.
Then I installed drawterm, which connects to a 9front system and runs rio inside a X11 window. You can connect drawterm with the plan9 system running in your qemu virtual machine.
Then I moved from qemu to OpenBSD vmm.

The nice thing about drawterm is that it mounts your host system's root file system in your 9front system. So I can use vim in my host system to edit my files in a xterm window and then open the files in the 9front guest system from a rio window open via drawterm.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nixers Book Club - Book #6: Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions - by seninha - 30-10-2021, 11:29 PM