Nixers Book Club - Book #6: Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
josuah
Long time nixers
(13-11-2021, 04:56 AM)venam Wrote: It's great that the return status can be a string, it allows for more
explicit errors.
IIRC there is a "error message" field in 9P, so that errors strings can come from remote or local.

(13-11-2021, 04:56 AM)venam Wrote: it's important to know this
from the book: "always check out for error conditions".
In practice I have seen a few code not doing so, but people doing it might know that the driver/fs does not have any room for error (no code that returns -1 for instance)... So maybe the idea under all the "important to know" was to focus the reader attention on core principles rather than the implementation details that are accidentally needed for the sake of example.

(30-10-2021, 11:29 PM)seninha Wrote: So I can use vim in my host system to edit my files in a xterm window and then open the files in the 9front guest system from a rio window open via drawterm.
For whoever interested in using Linux/UNIX-like tools but still discover plan-9:
https://www.ueber.net/who/mjl/plan9/plan9-obsd.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nixers Book Club - Book #6: Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions - by josuah - 13-11-2021, 06:43 AM