What Do You Do for a Living - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pfr
Nixers
(23-12-2021, 07:13 AM)venam Wrote: A lot of members work in different fields, some not even in tech-related field.

This is me. I am a Social Worker and *nix is just a hobby/interest of mine. I have worked in the Social Housing and Homelessness sector for most of my career, and I seem to always gravitate towards roles that have a focus on housing.

Currently I work for a National (Australia) Mental Health oganisation, providing case management support for people with chronic and enduring mental illness who've also experienced homelessness or housing instability in their lives.

I'm always the odd one out in these tech/*nix communities. I have a couple of friends who work in IT but mostly I dont have anyone to discuss my passion for UNIX with.

I have considered a career change or perhaps at least doing some formal education in this feild but I honestly dont see myself being able to make such a deviation now. I also fear that working in tech might kill my interest in it. Besides that, I've got a family to provide for and bills to pay so starting on a base salary in a new feild wouldn't be feasible.

So, while I'll always be the n00b on most tech/nix related forums, to my friends and family I'm Hackerman!

Messages In This Thread
What Do You Do for a Living - by venam - 23-12-2021, 07:13 AM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by venam - 23-12-2021, 07:14 AM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by movq - 27-12-2021, 03:21 PM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by pyratebeard - 29-12-2021, 12:06 PM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by pfr - 08-02-2022, 09:33 PM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by ckester - 24-08-2022, 06:55 PM
RE: What Do You Do for a Living - by venam - 25-08-2022, 01:56 AM