What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Oh, 2012, that was already 8 years ago.
This thread was very interesting at the time, everyone was young and the tech world barely started with the container hype. Windows users didn't have bash-on-windows and other kind of magic to get acquainted with what Unix-like systems are. There was still an age old disdain for anything related to the command line.

Now that we have a mentalist in town that can dig into our deepest secrets, let's revisit this thread. What do your relative and peers actually think of your Unix hobby?

Personally, the vision of my peers has not changed a lot. Similar to the reaction my sister had about Unix, my gf loved her easy-to-use Ubuntu machine. When we were forced to set a Windows machine for remote exams using some proprietary software (this dates from COVID-19 for anyone in the future reading this), she felt like she understood nothing of the system. My brother and friends still truly respect my hobby.
One thing that has changed though is the perception within my technical circle. I was still at university when I wrote the above post but now in the professional realm, knowledge of Unix-like systems in general is considered a true asset and something that penetrates everything we do.

Bump this thread with an update to your old post, or if you previously didn't post don't be shy to share your experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - by venam - 08-09-2020, 02:52 AM