What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
acg
Members
As I've seen most of you have split this between multiple social circles, I'll do the same with mine.

Family:
All of them already know I used Linux, they've gotten used to look at me staring at a terminal and don't even bother to figure out what's in there. If they see the terminal open, for them is like "he's working". As for their regular questions I'm blank most of the time since it's been quite some time of almost exclusive Linux usage. Other family members don't even know/care what I do on my computer.

Friends:
They don't care about which OS I use, they do know what an OS is and couldn't care less; I'm just a geeky guy for them. When it comes to college partners I've been like a Linux evangelist for them since day one, getting some of them to learn a bit and start using Linux. They always laughed at me when I was forced to do projects/labs on Windows.

Work:
I might be the only one currently using Linux at the office, previous users have migrated to Mac OS or just got one when started. Most of them know basic navigation commands and the must-know build tools, but besides that and ssh, not many of them use the terminal, relying on IDE and GUI most of the time.

General:
Most people I talk to are aware of multiple OSes but, and I quote,
(10-09-2020, 03:16 AM)Ramiferous Wrote: I've also only got one other mate who uses *nix and he actually works as a sysadmin for a bank. But even for him who uses Manjaro, tui/cli stuff isn't his thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - by acg - 13-09-2020, 11:24 AM