What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Dritz
Long time nixers
I'm proud to say that I have every member in my household using my Debian Xfce system. In fact, they haven't touched Windows (at least at home) for about 2 years.

Well, I suppose if you live your digital life in a web browser you wouldn't really care what OS you're using as long as it works.

The only bad thing is that when I move out of the house, they're going to have to go back to windows. There's just too many breakages that often occur after updates on even the Ubuntu based Linux systems that my family doesn't have the desire to learn how to fix. (And then they'll complain about Windows being 'slower', or 'less snappy'. YOU CAN'T WIN as an average user. I pity you, my parents.)

(As much as people accuse me of being a fan boy, I get to re-affirm my belief that the Linux desktop currently isn't for everyone...)

Everything about computers scares them. An error message pops up, PANIC instead of reading the error message! - That's their philosophy.

I think my little sister is their only hope. In fact, I'm training her as my replacement. She loves playing computer games and learning how things work, so that helps. In fact, she knows how to work my Xbox 360 better than my parents! (7 year olds can be surprising. Those little sponges!)

Anywho, as for their attitude toward me, they think I'm some sort of 'gifted' nerd.

I really wonder how many people would be at least considered 'tech savvy' if they put in effort to find the answers to their problems through effective googling?

Really, just think of how many needless queries would be eliminated by applying good googling skills? It makes me mad sometimes...
"Willful ignorance is a crime"

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does your relatives think of you, and your *nix hobby? - by Dritz - 04-12-2012, 12:18 AM