[FreeBSD] USB Install - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
zygotb
Long time nixers
(30-12-2012, 05:10 AM)Beastie Wrote: yep, but you can use that to install yo anything

I just tried it, minus the extracting files from CD (I have none,) and it setup my USB drive perfectly!
The only caveat was that I had no /mnt/usb directory, as I've named my USB mount dir a different name. Not really an issue though.

Then, to add insult to injury, I didn't have a FreeBSD ISO that I wanted to write to the USB device, so I tried writing a slax memstick image to the USB, but the slax memstick image isn't like most normal .iso files I'm used to...
slax-English-US-7.0.2-i486.zip is more geared towards Windoze & *buntu users, and wouldn't write to my USB drive, probably because of the partition layout created above.

My advice; if you want to try slax on a USB flash drive, use the CD .iso instead of the memstick .iso.
It's not that hard to dd an .iso to the proper location, but the slax bootinst.sh script assumes that one is a moron who uses mainstream operating systems, and so turns the process into more work than it should be.

Thanks again for the guide Beastie!

Well, my slax endeavor failed, for some reason, but in the meantime, I've found some interesting information about Flash dirves and NAND FLASH storage.
Since it's an involved subject, here's a link.
(it's not the first time I've dealt with bootable USB drives and writing .iso/.img files to said removable media.)

I downloaded slax from here, but don't see any signature, or hash, to verify the integrity of the downloaded file.
I tried both versions of the English-US file for my arch (i486) and neither download included any md5sum, etc.
The failure to provide any means of verification of the downloaded files causes me to lose faith in the rest of the system.

I'll be sticking with FreeBSD from here on out. :)

I found some more good info on USB flash drives & FreeBSD here.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!

Messages In This Thread
[FreeBSD] USB Install - by yrmt - 22-07-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: [FreeBSD] USB Install - by FreeBSD - 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: [FreeBSD] USB Install - by yrmt - 23-12-2012, 02:37 AM
RE: [FreeBSD] USB Install - by zygotb - 29-12-2012, 08:52 PM
RE: [FreeBSD] USB Install - by yrmt - 30-12-2012, 05:10 AM
RE: [FreeBSD] USB Install - by zygotb - 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM