Changing to a lisp machine. - Old school stuff

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Okeg
Long time nixers
Hello, Unixhub. I've considered switcing from a AMD64 computer(FreeBSD) over to a Lisp machine.

Why?:
1. As a protest to todays consumerist-market.
2. I love symbolics.
3. I would get infinite leet points(heheh)

Advantages:
The first advantage is perhaps the most obvious; Genera(the operating system). Other more personal advantages are; Minimalsism, improved workload(as-in less web browsing.), CRT-screen(I hate LCDs), my now current computer will be used as a server.

Problems:
Avaiability(Solved, i've found one.)
Sound(I'm an audiophile). But the sound problem is solved like this; Sell my gfx card(gtx 580) and buy a soundcard for the server, then connect the server to my audio rig. All in all; You won't need a gfx card on a server, IMHO.
If a problem appears, i'm fucked.

Personal:
I suffer from hand pains, so I can't use the standard mouse and keyboard.
Therefore my dream is to connect the datahand to the machine, and to either connect a trackball or apply "microswitch-surgery" to the original mouse.
-Datahand; I'll either have to figure out the signals, and reverse engineer it so that it connects(and works!)
-Trackball; same as datahand.
Alternative; Symbolics released an ADB adapter with the MacIvory rig, that adapter takes a ps/2-like input and translates it into the symbolics input. This might work, but it's not proven tested.

"Microswitch surgery"; Disassemble the mouse, and replace the siwtches with some saia burgess G3M1T1PUL microswithces. It works, but is not as comfortable as a trackball(with the same switches!)

Usage: Programming and research, obviously. But also writing text documents, and connecting to the internet in some odd way. I'm sure that I can "SSH"(or something alike that) into a terminal running w3m and IRC.

Ooh, and I also love the look of the symbolics UI!
I will keep you guys updated if things go according to the plan, I tend to overthink so I sometimes(often!) change my mind, but this seems damn fun!

EDIT: NOTE: I'll still keep my laptop with a flavor of *BSD!

Messages In This Thread
Changing to a lisp machine. - by Okeg - 14-05-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by venam - 14-05-2013, 02:00 PM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by Okeg - 14-05-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by Okeg - 14-05-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by yrmt - 14-05-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by Hans Hackett - 18-05-2013, 10:43 AM
RE: Changing to a lisp machine. - by Okeg - 20-09-2013, 09:40 AM