Let's see your githubs, and let's get forkin' - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kirby
Long time nixers
(16-11-2013, 05:13 AM)bottomy Wrote: @kirby I wasn't really a fan of the language preview feature. Since their language detention wasn't so half the time it wasn't even that accurate.

Fair point, I think I remember seeing a repo with one Python script come up as 100% Perl.

(16-11-2013, 05:13 AM)bottomy Wrote: Also I took the liberty of checking out your game repo and I have one suggestion as it's a possible bug at the moment. Your collision detection may not work sometimes depending on how fast you have the objects move. Since you're only checking for a collision at the destination, so if it moved so fast it's end destination is past an object it wouldn't actually detect the collision. If you're not going to have anything move that fast then this doesn't really matter but if you're here some possible solutions.

* A naive (but terribly slow) solution would be to increment the object the smallest distance it can travel and check for a collision then increment again, and keep repeating that until it either collides or has reached its destination.
* Create a physics system that updates at a faster interval than the game updates. This is what a lot of games will do, so it will take small steps each time and checking. And you just adjust the interval for performance and not movement bugs.
* Create a movement path. Create geometry representing the path the object takes for that movement and then check for collisions in that. This is the fastest approach but if you have complicated movement (beyond straight movements so like curved movements) it may get a little tricky depending in your experience.

Wow, thanks a lot, very useful. I haven't got as much time to work on it at the moment, but I'll certainly give it a look when I can. I'm still very new to gamedev (as in, this is the first thing I've ever made bar a quick test and some tutorial exercises), and if you compile and run it you'll see it's very amateur, so any comments are welcome. I don't think there's any difference in the collision detection, but you checked the 'game' branch right, all the work is being done there.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's see your githubs, and let's get forkin' - by kirby - 16-11-2013, 07:28 AM