Favorite text editor? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
mg is the best!
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Emacs! Unless it doesn't count because I use evil-mode, then my favourite is probably vim.
my website: kaashif.co.uk
Dr Chroot
Members
Emacs, the most customizable editor out there. And the one that RMS uses! (That counts for something, right?) Pico and vim are ok/great for desperate situations, such as a Arch install or editing your .Xresources before your first boot in Debian.
jmbi
Long time nixers
(25-07-2014, 12:18 AM)Dr Chroot Wrote: Emacs, the most customizable editor out there. And the one that RMS uses! (That counts for something, right?) Pico and vim are ok/great for desperate situations, such as a Arch install or editing your .Xresources before your first boot in Debian.

I agree with you on that. People always laugh at me for using nano a lot, but it's super quick and in almost every package repository.
kaludis
Members
I am emacs guy.
pvtmert
Members
nano or lighttable
zer0rest
Members
I'm using vim right now, still learning it so I don't use any plugins.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
Nearly always vi at cli, unless I'm doing more than just an edit, then it's mc, my main file manager, (although I sometimes use vifm).
(Under GUI it's usually whatever is installed, or vi.)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(28-04-2015, 04:49 AM)bsdkeith Wrote: Nearly always vi at cli, unless I'm doing more than just an edit, then it's mc, my main file manager, (although I sometimes use vifm).
(Under GUI it's usually whatever is installed, or vi.)

Do you do some programming from time to time?
xero
Long time nixers
for years i was a plain text editor kind of guy. then i went thought that ide phase. eventually i found out about this beta editor called sublime text. it was my go to for years. recently i've noticed many of it's short comings. one day i "woke up" and realized that 99% of what i do on a computer is in the terminal. some of it on my own box some of it on remote ones and that i should start using a terminal based editor. i "saw the light" and started using vi/vim. last week i officially uninstalled sublime from my systems. feels good
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
[quote='z3bra' pid='11817' dateline='1430225004']
Quote:Do you do some programming from time to time?
I used to try my hand at C, never got past small very basic progs; occasionally did some minor scripting, nothing to write home about though. Looking at playing with awk again, for my own pleasure(?).
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I see. I'm asking this because when you do more and more programming, you actually dig pretty far into one editor, to improve your workflow. I was just curious to know why you can switch without much caring about the editor
Vi/Vim has been a savior for me. I sometimes force myself to use other text editors, but they just "don't do it for me". Only GUI text editor I can somewhat use comfortably is Atom.io besides that It's Vi/Vim all the way.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
(28-04-2015, 05:16 PM)z3bra Wrote: I see. I'm asking this because when you do more and more programming, you actually dig pretty far into one editor, to improve your workflow. I was just curious to know why you can switch without much caring about the editor

If I were a programmer, my choice would be vi/vim because it uses the home keys for most things, no having to move to arrow keys or ctrl/alt keys. Lots of programmers also recommend it, so it has got to be good.
jobss
Long time nixers
My new favorite editor is Microsoft's Visual Studio Code, that thing has support for Linux.
deadgone
Long time nixers
VIM + NANO + EMACS(LISP)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT EDITORS?
deadgone
Long time nixers
(30-04-2015, 11:35 AM)z3bra Wrote: WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT EDITORS?
BECAUSE I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT BEING MODERATE
apk
Long time nixers
(30-04-2015, 11:22 AM)jobss Wrote: My new favorite editor is Microsoft's Visual Studio Code, that thing has support for Linux.
whats your opinion on it so far?
The fact that editor exists is proof of changing times. This semi-new Microsoft CEO is really cool imo.
jobss
Long time nixers
(01-05-2015, 12:29 AM)dsplayer14 Wrote:
(30-04-2015, 11:22 AM)jobss Wrote: My new favorite editor is Microsoft's Visual Studio Code, that thing has support for Linux.
whats your opinion on it so far?
The fact that editor exists is proof of changing times. This semi-new Microsoft CEO is really cool imo.

I love Microsoft's new CEO, he is looking at technology as a whole and seeing where Microsoft can help improve a new or changing product. Not like Apple, where they only want to worry about themselves and let the other Tech. companies do things on there own. I also think some of Windows 10 capabilities, like installing software from the command line and the 4 way snapping came from him and his use with unix/linux.

But the editor is great, it has not crashed on me yet, minimal RAM usage, on my system it only uses about 80mb of RAM. It's very keyboard friendly like vi is.

But basically it is a tweaked version of Github's Atom text editor, the only new feature that was added was support for Microsoft's javascript engine Monaco for better web development.

So what I said about about the low RAM usage and the keyboard friendliness can also be had with Atom.
greduan
Long time nixers
I do vi+Emacs most of the time, and I'm making my own text editor so I'll probably switch to that at some point...
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
io86
Members
Vi/Vim is my choice. I do all my coding, writing papers, web projects, presentations, and probably something else I don't recall now, in it.
deadgone
Long time nixers
I actually just started using Atom(this probably makes me a HN-poser dude.) But I really enjoy it.
greduan
Long time nixers
(03-05-2015, 12:13 AM)TheShadowFog Wrote: I actually just started using Atom(this probably makes me a HN-poser dude.) But I really enjoy it.
Atom is pretty nice, though some people don't use it cause it's JS.

The problem I have with it is that when I've tried, which has been several times, I have had *no* success with successfully compiling it.
Eduan / greduan
https://greduan.com
me@greduan.com
(03-05-2015, 12:53 PM)greduan Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 12:13 AM)TheShadowFog Wrote: I actually just started using Atom(this probably makes me a HN-poser dude.) But I really enjoy it.

The problem I have with it is that when I've tried, which has been several times, I have had *no* success with successfully compiling it.
Compiling it is not fun. I like Atom, but it still has a way-to-go.
S1cK94
Members
(03-05-2015, 11:17 PM)October Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 12:53 PM)greduan Wrote:

Compiling it is not fun. I like Atom, but it still has a way-to-go.
I started with Sublime Text. Then switched to Vim. Now I'm on Atom with Vi-mode plugin