Looking for laptop - Hardware talk

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
I use a laptop because I'm always computing on the go. My current laptop is a 4-5 year old acer with hinges that are barely holding.

Needless to say its time for an upgrade.

Things I want in a laptop:
-Linux compatablity a must
-small screen (not that important)
-nice keyboard
-Long battery life
-enough power for unimpeded web/programming
-Light gaming on ocassion(Things like nethack,df,minetest,openage)

If you use a laptop- which do you have and would you recommend it?

I've heard good and bad things about the Thinkpads so not sure what to think about those yet.
maybe a chromebook would do what I need?
Maybe if I didn't want to deal with the Chromebook ARM architecture I could get a netbook?
Recommendations?
movq
Long time nixers
This might depend on the country you're living in.

In Germany, there is Tuxedo[1]. I don't know if they sell to other countries. (I heard that they are identical to machines made by Schenker[2], but I don't have proof of that.) I own a "Tuxedo Book BS1503" myself and we also buy these things at work. From my experience, nVidia GPUs are often the cause of problems, so my configuration only has an integrated Intel GPU.

Everything I ever tried worked out of the box (Linux).

I recommend using Intel hardware. From all the laptops at work, those with "pure" Intel hardware usually work best. I'm not into gaming, though, nor do I use any "desktop effects".

[1] http://www.tuxedocomputers.com/
[2] http://www.mysn.de/

Disclaimer: I hope this does not count as advertising. If it does, please tell me and I'll remove it.
thetornainbow
Members
I have a Dell Inspiron 14z (mid-2013). 320GB HDD + 32GB SSD, 6GB RAM, Intel 2-core hyperthreaded i3. I got it for free when someone didn't want to go through the trouble of fixing it (Windows bootloader had gotten corrupted somehow). It was a case of more money than sense, and their son wanted a Mac anyway, so I gladly said I'd take the "piece of shit".

$12 later to replace the trackpad and I couldn't have asked for a better laptop, other than a few things. All the components work flawlessly with Linux and OpenBSD. I get around 3.5 hours battery life with tlp working its magic. The only thing I hate is the glossy screen so working anywhere slightly sunny is miserable. I don't know who thinks that's a good idea. The keyboard feels a bit too mushy, but I haven't really found _any_ laptop that feels great to type on. But the small form factor, SSD+HDD combo, good CPU, enough space for a good amount of RAM, and works with any *nix I throw on it, it's awesome.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
HP-G62, Acer Aspire One 532 & 722, (Novatech & Advent also), all work well with Linux, (& most are also suitable for use with BSD).
wervenyt
Members
Chromebooks are an option, if you're alright with a tiny, tiny laptop. I've got the Acer C720, and while it's not the most powerful laptop, it's got a hyperthreaded i3 and 4 GiB of RAM. As far as I know, you can install any SSD that fits, so you're not stuck with 32 GB.
jvarg
Members
I have a Thinkpad T420 with an i5 and 8GB RAM with the 1600x900 Display. My version has the integrated Intel graphics and also the Intel WiFi with this configuration the hardware support with OpenBSD and Linux is great. You can get it for a steal on ebay and the 14" are IMO a good tradeoff between portability and screen size. It's nice that you can change the DVD drive for a second HDD and the UMTS slot is also capable of an mSATA drive.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
(29-07-2015, 04:15 PM)wervenyt Wrote: Chromebooks are an option, if you're alright with a tiny, tiny laptop. I've got the Acer C720, and while it's not the most powerful laptop, it's got a hyperthreaded i3 and 4 GiB of RAM. As far as I know, you can install any SSD that fits, so you're not stuck with 32 GB.

Thats something to think about!
Is everything linux compatible? It certainly is good price wise and I never used that much hardrive space anyways.

(29-07-2015, 04:27 PM)jvarg Wrote: I have a Thinkpad T420 with an i5 and 8GB RAM with the 1600x900 Display. My version has the integrated Intel graphics and also the Intel WiFi with this configuration the hardware support with OpenBSD and Linux is great. You can get it for a steal on ebay and the 14" are IMO a good tradeoff between portability and screen size. It's nice that you can change the DVD drive for a second HDD and the UMTS slot is also capable of an mSATA drive.

I was considering thinkpads actually. I read some used buying guides and checked out /tpg/
the only thing is that I have a hard time wrapping my head around the prices.
I need to do more research into the best specs/cost that meet my needs.

(29-07-2015, 01:35 PM)vain Wrote: this might depend on the country you're living in.

In Germany, there is Tuxedo[1]. I don't know if they sell to other countries. (I heard that they are identical to machines made by Schenker[2], but I don't have proof of that.) I own a "Tuxedo Book BS1503" myself and we also buy these things at work. From my experience, nVidia GPUs are often the cause of problems, so my configuration only has an integrated Intel GPU.

Everything I ever tried worked out of the box (Linux).

I recommend using Intel hardware. From all the laptops at work, those with "pure" Intel hardware usually work best. I'm not into gaming, though, nor do I use any "desktop effects".

[1] http://www.tuxedocomputers.com/
[2] http://www.mysn.de/

Disclaimer: I hope this does not count as advertising. If it does, please tell me and I'll remove it.

I dont think either of those sell in the states :/
and importing wouldnt be worth shipping
kirby
Long time nixers
May not be what you were looking for but I'll throw it out anyway - get a small netbook and a desktop if you can.

I have decided I cannot stand laptops after I've seen expensive laptops with pretty hefty price tags die for stupid reasons about a week after the warranty expires. Maybe it's just my fault but I've known it happen to a few people. You're also looking at more money for similar specs on a PC.

Netbooks on the other hand are pretty great. They're tiny little things, but that's fine if it's just Linux and some small wm, plus you can ssh to things if you ever need something a bit bulkier. Mine has also lasted me about 4 years and still going strong, which can't be said of my laptop.

Just my two pence.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
(29-07-2015, 06:07 PM)kirby Wrote: - get a small netbook and a desktop if you can.

Solid advice, I might be able to scavenge my desktop.. we will see.
Would there be a benefit of getting a netbook over a chromebook if I intened on putting linux on either?
strang3quark
Members
Look at Dell XPS 13, there's a Developer Edition with Ubuntu, it should run other distros without issues.

I'm thinking about getting one for me, I bought a Dell 17R-5737, I love the Laptop but I need something smaller.
exp0sure
Long time nixers
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 7000 series 13", and to be very honest it is quite nice. I am currently dual booting windows 8 and Ubuntu, for many reasons that I won't get into right now. But they work both work great, and the overall feel of the laptop is very nice. The touchscreen is sometimes iffy on ubuntu, but I don't tend to use it very often so that is fine. As a student the simple but sturdy from of the laptop is nice, and its thinness and lightweight is quite nice. Definitely would recommend it.
Turil
Members
For the states there is System76, zareason and ThinkPenguin if you want a pre-installed laptop / make sure everything works out of the box. At least System76's hardware is just rebranded stuff from the Korean (or was it Taiwan?) manufacturer Clevo, just like the two manufacturers mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

I'm looking for a new notebook myself, my 2009 Macbook is dying and I want to leave Apple's ecosystem anyway. I wish the cheaper Dell XPS 13 without touch screens were available in Europe. :(
Guess I have to look at a Thinkpad or one of the Chromebooks with better hardware.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
I got a Chromebook and it has its ups and downs
The downside is you need to fight against the system to get a native Linux one.

I myself am possibility looking into a Thinkpad
Keep me posted with the things you look into!
zr0
Members
apk
Long time nixers
one thing im looking for in laptop is a keyboard with buckling springs. I think that should be mandatory and expected in all laptop models for its efficiency and form factor (much like my unicomp).
dtnt
Members
*looks at model m* If you tell me how to fit this monster in a laptop I'd be interested in carrying around with me, let me know mang!
ashen
Members
I'm currently just using a 2008 Macbook that I got for something like $250. It's only got 2gb ram and the graphics card sucks, but it's moderately capable. Hardware rendering for mpv doesn't like to work though for some reason.

I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM and rip out the disk drive so I can put some more storage on it, but that depends on when I have the money on hand.
skrzyp
Members
Thinkpad X201/X220

[/thread]
Code:
AGE = $12
lda #$00
sta AGE
life:
    jsr wait_year
    inc AGE
    cmp #$64