What phone are you using? - Hardware talk

Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
evbo
Members
I've got a LG G3 with Cyanogen Mod and removed Google apps. It was a Christmas gift from my wife to replace my ancient S1. I've been thinking about changing carriers as we get awful reception in our new place, so it might be time for a different phone.
fraun
Members
(17-10-2016, 04:51 PM)josuah Wrote: If I could get rid of google calendar, google contacts, I could even get a CyanogenMod without the google apps at all!

Any idea what you'd use instead of gcal and gcontacts, if you were to leave them?
evbo
Members
(18-10-2016, 10:59 AM)fraun Wrote: Any idea what you'd use instead of gcal and gcontacts, if you were to leave them?

I use a VPS with OwnCloud for my contacts and calendar, then sync it to my de-googled phone with DavDroid: https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?f...e.davdroid
josuah
Long time nixers
(18-10-2016, 10:59 AM)fraun Wrote: Any idea what you'd use instead of gcal and gcontacts, if you were to leave them?

For gcal, the ideal would to use my script "agenda": https://raw.githubusercontent.com/josuah...bin/agenda

But this does not works well, and I need time to make it work correctly.

And for contact, some text file-based thing as well. Ideally working with iomenu (my dmenu for the terminal).
gnmn
Members
I'm using a Jolla, really like its linuxness. Makes me want to learn qt so I can make my own apps for it.

I'm following the neo900 project as a hopeful successor. https://neo900.org/
jkl
Long time nixers
It doesn't make much sense to use a Unix-like OS on a smartphone solely because of its Unixness as using a mobile keyboard for more than a quick memo is a major PITA. (Also, Apple has proven that you can even ruin 4.3BSD by putting it on a smartphone.)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
still on my nexus 5. still perfect coming up to 3 years in april. only thing wrong with it is a dead pixel that is barely noticeable in lowlight conditions
wervenyt
Members
I'm still on an original Moto G. I don't recommend such behaviour.
mrtn
Members
OnePlus 3T - dumped my iPhone 6S. My sister needed a new phone and I basically disagree with every major design choice apple made for the iPhone 7..
venam
Administrators
I own a Doogee X6 Pro, which was a gift.
I don't particularly fancy phones and never thought of putting money into one.
bleb
Registered
Samsung Evergreen going strong for ~8 years :)

Been holding out for the neo900, but I may upgrade to something with navigation in the mean time.
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
Picked up a Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus last week. Comes with Cyanogen installed. So far I'm enjoying it. It is much faster than my last phone, which was a cheap second hand LG.

I'm going to keep the LG for a while as I want to play around with SailfishOS. Unfortunately Jolla aren't releasing the Jolla phones anymore.

I could do with a shot of rum right now.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
refurbished nexus 5

when this dies, I'll probably get another nexus 5.
r4ndom
Members
I'm currently using an OnePlus X, which I really love, since it is "smaller" than most other phones with these specs. Moreover the price was really pleasing for me.
atbd
Members
(25-04-2017, 06:01 AM)r4ndom Wrote: I'm currently using an OnePlus X, which I really love, since it is "smaller" than most other phones with these specs. Moreover the price was really pleasing for me.

Did you get it on the official store ?
When I wanted to buy it, it was unavailable.

Few weeks after I bought the OP3, nice phone with good specs
r4ndom
Members
(25-04-2017, 09:07 AM)atbd Wrote: Did you get it on the official store ?

Yeah, but it was in winter '15 with the christmas sale without an invite.
drkhsh
Members
oneplus x w/ lineage os (based on android 7)
atbd
Members
(25-04-2017, 09:19 AM)r4ndom Wrote:
(25-04-2017, 09:07 AM)atbd Wrote: Did you get it on the official store ?

Yeah, but it was in winter '15 with the christmas sale without an invite.

Right, I missed the opportunity
mushmouth
Members
iphone 7. Don't really use a phone much beside watching youtube videos in bed or some bank mangement and calling/sms i guess.