volume control: amixer
file manager: ranger (evaluating nnn)
terminal emulator: st
text editor: depends ... mostly micro and ed these days
mail client: aerc and/or Emacs with Gnus
image viewer: feh
P2P file sharing: amule
screenshot: scrot
system monitor: depends on the OS - on illumos/Solaris, the built-in *stat tools, else top/htop.
multiplexer: tmux
shell: ksh93

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(31-12-2019, 10:43 AM)jkl Wrote: mostly micro and ed these days

Only to brag about it right? ?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
music: curl + sox
video: mplayer
sound: pulseaudio (apparently bluetooth support was dropped from alsa)
email: mu, mutt, isync, msmtp, webdump, ldapsearch and a lot of shell glue around it!
image: lel, farbfeld, xscreenshot
multiplexer: dvtm
editor: vis (occasionally mg, but it lack utf-8 support which is bad for french)
backup: dedup + rclone
password: safe
packages: pm (on top of the default of the distro)
shell: mksh
misc: pick (love this one!)
eadwardus
Members
music: mpd + mpc
irc client: weechat
video: mpv
sound: oss4
image: feh
editor: vi
email: -
shell: mksh, rc
password: masterpassword
backup: luck, tarballs + gz
system monitor: htop, ps
file manager: unix utils
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Why did you choose OSS4 for sound?
Also, you don't use emails at all?
eadwardus
Members
(01-01-2020, 02:48 PM)z3bra Wrote: Why did you choose OSS4 for sound?
I like the API, also eliminates the need of PA to play sound from multiple sources.
(01-01-2020, 02:48 PM)z3bra Wrote: Also, you don't use emails at all?
I do, but i don't use any CLI/TUI application for it.
jkl
Long time nixers
(31-12-2019, 01:47 PM)z3bra Wrote: Only to brag about it right? ?

That's why I also have TECO. No, both are fine for simple config changes.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
eye
Members
audio: playerctl / mpd / ncmpcpp
files: coreutils / ranger
irc: irssi
terminal emulator: urxvt
shell: zsh
system monitor: ps / htop / glances (rare)
editor: vim
image viewer: feh
mail: neomutt
fun: pipes
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
(31-12-2019, 02:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: video: mplayer

Why not use mpv at this point? Other than "it has more features so is now more bloated". Purely from a configuration standpoint it is better and is actively being developed.

Quote:shell: mksh

I'm starting to use mksh a bit more especially on my headless pi's which struggle with my heavier zsh config, but struggling around finding decent documentation, especially surrounding any interactive features, do you have any resources?

Quote:misc: pick (love this one!)

Thanks for this! This will nicely do as a replace to fzf, especially as these sorts of things get distributed as bin files the majority of the time, and therefore don't work on musl distros.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
mplayer is simpler for me given my low-requirements:

* less/simpler compile-time dependencies (no libass/shaderc/lua/…)
* no dedicated project just for building it
* no need for configuration at all (so better configuration doesn't matter to me)
* I had experience with remote URL openning fine in mplayer but not mpv (direct links to the video file!)

So I kept using it as it works well for my needs in the end. I don't need/want an API controlled or scriptable video player. And as I compile it myself, the simpler the better.
And mplayer is still actively developped :)

To be fair, I tried to use ffplay instead at some point, but it is just not a media player at all…
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
(29-01-2020, 07:41 AM)z3bra Wrote: * no dedicated project just for building it

In fairness that repository mainly seems to be a 'all-in-one' scripts for installing mpv where the distro provides crap base packages. For us this isn't an issue as we at least grab recent copies of ffmpeg or package it ourselves. ffmpeg is so poorly built on many distros it's a joke, often missing support for the most basic of things. Also I won't hate on a project that is a bit more complicated to build actually providing in-depth documentation /themselves/ on their project.

I don't get how you can live without any configuration at all on your video player, but each to their own. For me the interpolation that mpv provides is worth the upgrade alone. Perhaps it was something to do with youtube-dl to why it doesn't open URLs? youtube-dl breaks every two months or so because of google.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I don't hate the project at all. I just don't see any benefits to switching. Honestly I already find mplayer bloated, as all I expect from a video player is to play/pause/seek, and optionally buffer input (not even required, as tee(1) do that well enough).

If mpv break when called with a link to a .mp4 video directly, because of youtube-dl API changing or whatever, then that is one more reason for me to keep using mplayer ^^ At least I know that it does not try to be too smart and simply download/decode the data stream on the fly. If I need youtube-dl in the pipe, I'll add it myself.
wolf
Members
(31-12-2019, 02:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: email: mu, mutt, isync, msmtp, webdump, ldapsearch and a lot of shell glue around it!
Do you deal with multipart HTML messages ?
wolf
Members
audio: mpg123/ffmpeg/cmus/mplayer
files: coreutils
irc: weechat
shell: ksh
system monitor: ps / top
editor: vim
screenshot: ImageMagik
image viewer: ImageMagik
mail: mutt
browsing : elinks
password : keepassxc
twee
Members
  • music: cmus, or gtkpod + ipod nano g2
  • video: ffplay
  • files: coreutils, occasionally dired
  • irc: weechat
  • emulator: xterm, st
  • system monitor: ps or top, but i don't care that much
  • text editor: vis, ed
  • screenshot: imagemagick
  • image viewer: imagemagick
  • mail client: mutt, mb
  • internet: gopher, elinks, vf-1
  • other/fun: nethack
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(13-05-2020, 02:27 AM)wolf Wrote:
(31-12-2019, 02:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: email: mu, mutt, isync, msmtp, webdump, ldapsearch and a lot of shell glue around it!
Do you deal with multipart HTML messages ?

Yup. I use webdump for that, coupled with 'cat -s' to join blank lines together, and 'fmt -s' to force reflowing to a max width of 120 char.
webdump now has the hability to use escape codes to render bold/italics, which makes them pretty nice to read in the terminal !

The full config of my mutt setup involves the following:

Code:
# ~/.muttrc
set allow_ansi = yes
set mailcap_path = "~/.mailcap"
set display_filter = "$HOME/.local/bin/mailfmt"
auto_view text/html

Code:
# ~/.mailcap
text/html; htmldump -c %{charset} %s; copiousoutput

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# ~/.local/bin/mailfmt

w=$(tput cols)
if [ -z "$w" ] || [ "$w" -gt 120 ]; then
        w=120
fi

# trim mutt [-- Attachment --] headers
grep -vE -- '\[-- .* --\]$' | fmt -s -u -w $w

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# ~/.local/bin/htmldump
usage() {
        echo "usage: $(basename $0) [-c charset] file" >&2
}

while getopts 'c:h' OPT; do
        case $OPT in
        c) charset=$OPTARG ;;
        h) usage; exit 0 ;;
        *) usage; exit 1 ;;
        esac
done

shift $((OPTIND - 1))

[ -z "$charset" ] && charset="$(file -i $1 | sed 's/.* charset=//')"
iconv -f $charset -t utf-8 $1 \
        | webdump -a \
        | sed 'y/ / /;s/^\s*$//' \
        | cat -s

This makes pretty nice emails honestly.
Here is your typical marketing email rendered in mutt's pager:
[Image: f82.png]

I also have some scripts to display "text/calendar" messages for invites I receive. I still have to find a way to add them to my outlook calendar though. I expected to have them added automatically to the calendar when I reply to them with an "ACCEPTED" invite attachment, but it does not. I guess I'll have to use outlook's API. yuk.
wolf
Members
Heeeeey... That's really a jewel .
I would like try this setup ASAP. If it work fine with me it will be the end of an entire odyssey.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(13-05-2020, 09:14 AM)wolf Wrote: Heeeeey... That's really a jewel .
I would like try this setup ASAP. If it work fine with me it will be the end of an entire odyssey.

To be fair, it's never the end. There are still visual glitches from time to time, and I still didn't sort out displaying links properly.
There is also the whole part about calendar invites, which I've partially scratched (that would actually be worth detailing), but is still missing some parts.

I also have a "cleanbox" script that auto-tidy my mailbox by digging full threads from my various folders when I get a new mail, so I can just archive what's read, and ensure that the whole thread will pop back to my inbox if I get a reply.
I also use this script to auto-archive stuff and cleanup my inbox, but I'm afraid this will eventually grow in a huge shell monster if I don't pay enough attention.
ckester
Nixers
music: mpg123 (with an ncurses frontend I wrote myself)
video: mpv
music/video streamer: pianobar
file manager: vifm
irc client: none (I've never been into chat)
system monitor: htop (but only when something is slowing my system down. Otherwise I don't bother.)
text editor: vim
torrent client: rtorrent
image viewer: sxiv
mail client: mutt
shell: ksh
other/fun: less, vidir, ncdu, par, wyrd, wcalc, elinks, curseradio-improved, rawdog
opfez
Members
music: cmus
video: vlc
file manager: coreutils, nnn
irc client: irssi, looking for a better one though
terminal emulator: alacritty
system monitor: top
text editor: neovim
screenshot: scrot/grim
torrent client: qbittorrent
mail client: thunderbird, switching soon
other: mosh
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(02-07-2020, 06:47 PM)opFez Wrote: irc client: irssi, looking for a better one though

Don't change it then !
opfez
Members
(03-07-2020, 07:46 PM)z3bra Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:47 PM)opFez Wrote: irc client: irssi, looking for a better one though

Don't change it then !

looks like i just have to learn it properly, lol.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
If you want a really simple one, check out catgirl. It is really easy to use, but you must be aware that it can only connect to a single server at a time, so you must resort to a terminal multiplexer or bouncer to connect to multiple servers.
jkl
Long time nixers
If you want a really simple one, check out ii. Beware that you’ll need to patch it for TLS support.

--
opfez
Members
(06-07-2020, 06:33 AM)z3bra Wrote: If you want a really simple one, check out catgirl. It is really easy to use, but you must be aware that it can only connect to a single server at a time, so you must resort to a terminal multiplexer or bouncer to connect to multiple servers.
(06-07-2020, 06:35 AM)jkl Wrote: If you want a really simple one, check out ii. Beware that you’ll need to patch it for TLS support.

I'll check them out, thanks.
seninha
Long time nixers
music: mpd+mpc+dmenu
video: mpv+youtube-dl
file manager: coreutils, tree, some scripts of mine, lf and sxiv's thumbnail mode
irc client: moved from HexChat to irssi, considering moving to ircII (or to ii+iii).
terminal emulator: xterm
system monitor: top, ps, sysctl, and the script I use to feed lemonbar
text editor: vim
screenshot: maim
torrent client: qbittorrent, looking for a CLI client.
mail client: mutt, considering moving to UNIX's mail and mblaze
other/fun: ADOM
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I'm curious to know why you consider "nq" as a mail client ? It's more of a tool like at(1) or crond(8), than an MUA.
seninha
Long time nixers
(14-07-2020, 07:53 AM)z3bra Wrote: I'm curious to know why you consider "nq" as a mail client ? It's more of a tool like at(1) or crond(8), than an MUA.

Damn, I mixed my bookmarks up.
I intended to link to mblaze, another project of Leah's.
fre d die
Members
(31-12-2019, 02:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: music: curl + sox
Sox is a set of command line tools right? do you simply just select the file or folder of music you want to play with it, or can you use it in a more similar way to tools like cmus?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(14-07-2020, 10:01 AM)fre d die Wrote:
(31-12-2019, 02:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: music: curl + sox
Sox is a set of command line tools right? do you simply just select the file or folder of music you want to play with it, or can you use it in a more similar way to tools like cmus?

It's like imagemagick but for sound files. One of the utilities is "play" which simply plays the files given on the command line in sequential order. There is no curse interface to manage your library though, so I make playlists by symlinking files in a "playlist" directory, then play the files in random order. For example:

Code:
cd /var/data/music
ln -s jamiroquai/*/*.mp3 ./playlist/
ln -s rhcp/*/*.ogg ./playlist/

cd playlist
play $(ls|shuf)

Another thing I do (and it's why I mentionned curl, is playing online radio that provide an mp3 stream:

Code:
curl -sL http://radio.domain.tld:8000/live.mp3 | play -

The radio I used to listen is gone today though, so I need to find others.