Workflow Compilation 2020 [ongoing] - Desktop Customization & Workflow
stark
It has been a looong time since we did this, so here's to another Workflow Compilation 2020 .

If you have participated in the last two threads (#1 & #2) then you know the drill, if not no worries our savior z3bra got your back ;D

What is it ?
This is a video compiling a bunch of screencast from the nixers members, all performing the same task, but using their personal setup.
this would result in a compilation showing the personal workflow of each participant, and setting a comparison point between them.

Can I participate ?
Sure ! The more videos we get, the better. Just post your submission and we'll add it !

What are the rules ?
1. Nixers will have to perform the tasks in the exact order they are listed (see below).
2. Nixers must use a single monitor for the screencast
3. Nixers' screen resolution should be above 1280x720
4. Nixers submissions should be in webm format
5. Nixers should submit their compilation before 2020-06-17 at midnight (UTC)

How can I record the video ?
The command to use is the following (adjust the resolution to fit your actual setup):

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i :0.0 -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

For those running OSX:

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i 0:none -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

To end the video, press `q`.

What is the task list ?
  • Put on some music
  • Write some code and push it to a public repo of your choice ( This includes but not limited to services like GitHub, private hostings, etc. but as long as it's under a code repository and available publicly it fits )
  • Send an email to youhavemyc@protonmail.com
  • Take a scrot ( beautify it if you must ) and upload it to a pastebin of your choice
  • Join the IRC at irc.freenode.net/6697 (SSL only) and paste the link to the scrot in #nixers_net

Happy hacking !

Submissions
All your unicodes belong to me
z3bra
Yay !! I'm up for it, thanks for starting it again stark ?

How about having a twist on this new edition, rather than just copying the last one ?

We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task, showcase it and prepare a task to the next one. This way the whole video would be all nixers asking each other to perform a task. What do you think ?
venam
(17-05-2020, 06:10 PM)z3bra Wrote: We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task
To do this we'll have to list the names of all participants first. Also, it's going to be much slower as everyone will have to wait for each others.
jkl
Is there a limitation on the operating systems allowed in this compilation?
z3bra
(18-05-2020, 01:01 AM)venam Wrote:
(17-05-2020, 06:10 PM)z3bra Wrote: We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task
To do this we'll have to list the names of all participants first. Also, it's going to be much slower as everyone will have to wait for each others.

That's true. I don't know if that's something we can do or not then ?

(18-05-2020, 05:06 AM)jkl Wrote: Is there a limitation on the operating systems allowed in this compilation?

Hopefully not. This is a workflow compilation, not an OS show case.
stark
Hmm. Well people who would participate can drop their email here, if they don't get a reply within 2 days, they can just follow the old ( or a new ? ) task list. How about that ?
jkl
I don't think it's a good idea to make this thread a detectable list of valid e-mail addresses.
venam
(18-05-2020, 07:27 AM)jkl Wrote: I don't think it's a good idea to make this thread a detectable list of valid e-mail addresses.

I agree, let's take that off the table for now. Let's keep the workflow compilation as is, a list of items to execute.
z3bra
Ok, we keep the old way of doing it ! Same tasks ? What is the time limit for submissions ?

How about focusing on one task that might involve multiple one ? Like fixing a "fake bug" (get source, compile, debug, edit) and submitting a patch/PR (formatting patch, sending email/browsing web) ?
jkl
The current list of tasks involves more different tools than I'd like to (at least three different ones).

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode