systemd - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
simon
Long time nixers
systemd sucks. People using it cannot take criticism.
Reindeer11
Members
(25-10-2012, 12:55 PM)simon Wrote: systemd sux. and people using it cannot take critisism.

I will point out that your grammar is very bad and I also haven't seen a Systemd user which can't take criticism, including myself.

But tell me why you think Systemd users can't take criticism and why Systemd is bad. :)
Mafia
Long time nixers
Please elaborate on why it sucks, rather then making a bland statement?
Dritz
Long time nixers
I suck... on straws from time to time, and I won't take any criticism pertaining to the subject!

[Image: talk_to_the_hand.jpg]
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
Mafia
Long time nixers
(26-10-2012, 12:33 AM)Dritz Wrote: I suck... on straws from time to time, and I won't take any criticism pertaining to the subject!

[Image: talk_to_the_hand.jpg]

Lol, I liked that.
simon
Long time nixers
Haha cool. :)
Well the reasons are quite a few, and I must run right now.
Arch linux *people* either had to leave Arch if they didn't like it, or they have to like it anyway.
It doesn't boot faster as everybody says it does.
venam
Administrators
I will state what I think and believe about systemd.
I'm an Arch user so I had to try it out or at least adapt my init scripts so they could work with the changing system.
I did this for a while but wanted to try this systemd. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
I read and used the online documentation to move to it.
At first I tried reading the man page... It's an horror movie!
Following that I found a little pdf explaining really well how to use systemd and it helped me a lot. http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-ebook-psankar.pdf

From this point on I tried to adapt myself to systemd way of managing the system, which is more complete and complex then the system V way of doing things.

The boot process is not faster and I don't like not being able to see what is happening at boot time because it shows too much things moving too fast.

system V is simple and efficient, systemd is complex and away from the config files.
simon
Long time nixers
You have to manage everything with systemctl, and it sucks. It ignores inittab, there are tons of symlinks all over the place, and it just sucks. It's horrible to make new services.
zygotb
Long time nixers
Fedora uses systemd, and F17 runs exceedingly well on my 4 year old netbook.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
CrossFold
Long time nixers
I hate the systemd in Arch Linux' recent update as well.. But maybe, people who love Arch may want to learn systemd or just move to some other similar distribution or probably build up their own system.. But for me, I need something quick and easily handled, so I'll be on the distro search again.. Kinda annoyed of it now...
klr
Members
Sorry for being off-topic but are there any distributions out there similar to the past Arch Linux? I've heard Crux was similar but it ain't made for 64-bit and I don't think I want to run that community contributed iso...
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
(29-10-2012, 04:31 PM)klr Wrote: Sorry for being off-topic but are there any distributions out there similar to the past Arch Linux? I've heard Crux was similar but it ain't made for 64-bit and I don't think I want to run that community contributed iso...

Crux isn't similar at all. Debian is the closest you can get.
klr
Members
Hmm, I've always thought that Crux was fairly simple such as Arch Linux, but that's just stuff I've heard.

I don't understand how you can state that Debian GNU/Linux is similar to Arch Linux, but let's not get too off-topic.
arch || dwm || urxvt || mksh || nano
venam
Administrators
*nixer,
for those interested in a little improvement in boot up speed (if they are using ext4) you must try out e4rat.
It gave me a faster boot by reallocating files||programs that are needed at boot time (default of 120s timeout after boot).
Anyway, it doesn't really need explanations, just try it out.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(02-11-2012, 03:06 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(29-10-2012, 06:22 PM)Beastie Wrote: Crux isn't similar at all. Debian is the closest you can get.

Wait what? I thought Arch was based of Crux.

Just because it was based on it doesn't make it similar, Arch has been completely molded into something else from my perspective. Plus crux is just shit to me, but that's my opinion.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(03-11-2012, 07:31 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(03-11-2012, 01:34 AM)Mafia Wrote: Just because it was based on it doesn't make it similar, Arch has been completely molded into something else from my perspective. Plus crux is just shit to me, but that's my opinion.

Hush, lot of Crux fan boys on here! xD

Psh, I don't give a ****.
:)