Unix screen-shots thread! - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
Shrek
Members
(03-04-2022, 03:52 PM)movq Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 02:57 PM)Shrek Wrote: What's old is what's new again. I'm working on a Motif based desktop.
You posted this no April 1st, so I hope this is not an April fools joke. :-)

This looks really great, if you ask me. Do you have any more details or a link to the source code?

The WM is EMWM. It's a fork of MWM I found with EWMH enhancements. The same guy also made an image viewer and the Toolbox/session manager I'm using, plus a NEdit fork with better font support. https://github.com/alx210/emwm

I used these and made a bunch of my own icons, color schemes, configs and a few custom apps and I'm turning them into a desktop environment for Linux (and probably BSDs in the future).

I'm hoping to have the 1.0 source release ready soon but I have to finish some essentials like the build scripts and color scheme changer. Speaking of, here's a preview of the Spruce scheme... https://i.ibb.co/XSjBZYY/snap-17-29-07-04-03-22.png
VMS
Members
(03-04-2022, 06:35 PM)Shrek Wrote: I used these and made a bunch of my own icons, color schemes, configs and a few custom apps and I'm turning them into a desktop environment for Linux (and probably BSDs in the future).

This is absolutely stunning. Much better than MAXX in my opinion. Very consistent. Congrats :-)
Looking forward to giving it a shot
VMS
Members
In the meantime, I present my last experiment. A mostly pkgsrc based Solaris 11.4 CBE desktop (fvwm3), inspired by the CDE look of Solaris 8 to 10, and running as a QEMU/NVMM guest on NetBSD/amd64.

[Image: sol.png]
seninha
Long time nixers
(08-04-2022, 10:02 PM)VMS Wrote: In the meantime, I present my last experiment. A mostly pkgsrc based Solaris 11.4 CBE desktop (fvwm3), inspired by the CDE look of Solaris 8 to 10, and running as a QEMU/NVMM guest on NetBSD/amd64.

Looks great!
The only thing that doesn't quite fit the theme is that CSD on the file manager.
yakumo.izuru
Members
I'm using FreeBSD on my main computer, with Hikari as my WM, although I also use sway from time to time.

[Image: Evx.jpeg]
Code:
_                _            ,                                
(_|   |_/o       | |          /|   |                      o    
  |   |      __  | |  _ _|_    |___|  _   ,_    _  _  _     _|_
  |   |  |  /  \_|/  |/  |     |   |\|/  /  |  / |/ |/ |  |  |  
   \_/   |_/\__/ |__/|__/|_/   |   |/|__/   |_/  |  |  |_/|_/|_/
~Izuru Yakumo
lxg00n
Registered
(23-07-2012, 06:44 AM)crshd Wrote: What a great way to start.

StumpWM (patched) on Gentoo

[Image: 20Gtu.png]
That's really nice! Are you using polybar?
seninha
Long time nixers
Nothing changed.
Except the dockbar, which has a new menu dockapp.
EDIT: Now with a xteddy smug beastie!

[Image: 2022-06-16-bestie.png]
yakumo.izuru
Members
I've got tired of Wayland, WMhopped a lot when I returned to X11, and I'm now stuck on AwesomeWM

[Image: w0D.jpg]
yakumo.izuru
Members
I had even considered 2bwm at some point, but.....
Shrek
Members
(17-06-2022, 10:18 PM)akoizumi Wrote: I've got tired of Wayland, WMhopped a lot when I returned to X11, and I'm now stuck on AwesomeWM

What killed my interest in Wayland (for now) was how broken taking screenshots was.

I get the feeling a lot of modern devs are not eating their own dog food (testing and using with their own code).
yakumo.izuru
Members
(18-06-2022, 03:07 PM)Shrek Wrote: I get the feeling a lot of modern devs are not eating their own dog food (testing and using with their own code).
Agreed.

(18-06-2022, 03:07 PM)Shrek Wrote: how broken taking screenshots was.
Same, grimshot really sucks, to the point I've written my own script but turns out it's also broken due to half of it hard-depending on sway.
pfr
Nixers
(17-04-2022, 11:19 PM)lxg00n Wrote:
(23-07-2012, 06:44 AM)crshd Wrote: What a great way to start.

StumpWM (patched) on Gentoo

That's really nice! Are you using polybar?

crshd hasn't been online in many years sadly. His ricing skills are, to this day, the best I've ever seen. The dude practically held my had though my very first Arch installation back in 2009. This screenshot from him is giving me nostalgia... I might need to bite this style for my next rice.

(16-06-2022, 10:02 PM)seninha Wrote: Nothing changed.
Except the dockbar, which has a new menu dockapp.
EDIT: Now with a xteddy smug beastie!

How do you change the teddy to beastie? did you need to patch xteddy or is there a command line option I don't know about?
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
decided to revitalise my old thinkpad so installed freebsd. spent a week splurging a load of new colourschemes after some new inspiration. have been using oldriceputin for a couple of weeks now.

[Image: oldriceputinbsd.png]
yakumo.izuru
Members
I detonated FreeBSD the hell out of my computer (might or might not write a post on my blog later) and I have this now. I've been using this WM for like, nearly a month now? lol

[Image: 0Rp.png]

Editor's note: replaced with a current one
cyr4x3
Members
switched from xmonad to cwm a couple of months ago and i can't go back now

[Image: 2e7mq7qec0ea1.png]
ckester
Nixers
(24-01-2023, 12:28 PM)cyr4x3 Wrote: switched from xmonad to cwm a couple of months ago and i can't go back now

That wallpaper goes very well with those terminal windows. An elegant, subdued colorscheme!
cyr4x3
Members
(25-01-2023, 03:39 PM)ckester Wrote:
(24-01-2023, 12:28 PM)cyr4x3 Wrote: switched from xmonad to cwm a couple of months ago and i can't go back now

That wallpaper goes very well with those terminal windows. An elegant, subdued colorscheme!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that!
Kohaku
Members
[Image: HbJ8.png]
venam
Administrators
Pretty minimal! Can you share more info on the WM and what you're running?
Kohaku
Members
(03-06-2023, 11:15 AM)venam Wrote: Pretty minimal! Can you share more info on the WM and what you're running?

I'm using cwm[1] on Void Linux. The bar is Polybar—I want to try to achieve the same look with lemonbar, though.

Regarding the overall theme, it's kind of inspired by Streamline Moderne. And the colours were taken from Alabaster.

I still don't consider this setup complete, since I would like to develop my own colour palette.

[1]: Thanks to z3bra for writing this post! The concept of groups is just amazing.
seninha
Long time nixers
(24-07-2022, 10:52 AM)pfr Wrote: How do you change the teddy to beastie? did you need to patch xteddy or is there a command line option I don't know about?

You can pass xteddy a png file with the -F flag.

Few things changed in my desktop: the background; a new dockapp for displaying the album art of the currently playing song; the menus; etc.

[Image: menus.png]
mcotocel
Members
Using AwesomeWM on Nixos

[Image: HcdP.png]
pfr
Nixers
(03-04-2022, 06:35 PM)Shrek Wrote: The WM is EMWM. It's a fork of MWM I found with EWMH enhancements. The same guy also made an image viewer and the Toolbox/session manager I'm using, plus a NEdit fork with better font support. https://github.com/alx210/emwm

I used these and made a bunch of my own icons, color schemes, configs and a few custom apps and I'm turning them into a desktop environment for Linux (and probably BSDs in the future).

I'm hoping to have the 1.0 source release ready soon but I have to finish some essentials like the build scripts and color scheme changer. Speaking of, here's a preview of the Spruce scheme... https://i.ibb.co/XSjBZYY/snap-17-29-07-04-03-22.png

Looks very IRIX'y, I love it!

Please let this be available on NetBSD, please oh pretty please! :D

(04-06-2023, 10:37 PM)seninha Wrote:
[Image: menus.png]
Is it possible for you to integrate piemenu into shod itself? I'll even go one step further and say you should package all of your tools (xmenu, xlauncher, xnotify, xfiles etc..) into a shod "suite" or something ike that. You've essentially created a desktop environment in and of itself.

I acknowledge I've been on hiatus for the last year but I might DM you again soon because shod still isn't quite working (for me) yet on NetBSD. Likely user error but nonetheless, I'd like to get it running.

Anyway, here is my most recent screenshot. You'll probably want to <right click> <open in new tab>

[Image: 20f7dd4f-ced0-4e67-8809-7ca370c3b2a8.png]
santafe
Members
OpenBSD 7.3 + cwm + T480. Solarized light, as i dislike dark themes.

[Image: Hf60.png]
gmk
Long time nixers
This is windowmaker on Ubuntu.

[Image: 1701142697.png]
fre d die
Members
just debian
mainly used for writing and web surfing B^)
[Image: HgoP.png]
fre d die
Members
changed back to openBSD
still mainly used for writing and web surfing B^)
[Image: HI1E.png]
pfr
Nixers
(28-11-2023, 01:20 AM)gmk Wrote: This is windowmaker on Ubuntu.

[Image: 1701142697.png]

Probably the most productive looking ubuntu setup I've seen in a while. I still don't care much for ubuntu, but I dig that this looks stripped back of all the gnome crap. well done.

(19-12-2023, 09:50 AM)fre d die Wrote: just debian
mainly used for writing and web surfing B^)
[Image: HgoP.png]

That blury wallpaper would f8ck with my eyes so hard, how do you use that?

(10-01-2024, 03:06 PM)fre d die Wrote: changed back to openBSD

Thank goodness!