Battlestations! - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
exaem
Members
Mine

[Image: 97O9mCe.jpg]
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Here's the latest. Click the image to see the full album :)
[Image: o39oGD8.jpg]
Jayro
Long time nixers
Shit Phryne, your battelstation pics always get me going.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(03-10-2013, 09:08 AM)Jayro Wrote: Shit Phryne, your battelstation pics always get me going.
;)
shtols
Long time nixers
\*unzips pants\* FAPTIME!
ne0phyte
Members
Since a Battlestation-thread is how I found out about unixhub (see here Deskthority.net - Post your desktop!):
Here is mine :P
[Image: 9Pi5Dpy.jpg]
exaem
Members
I need to get me a portrait monitor
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
ne0phyte, I like that battlestation! How's the FiiO?
ne0phyte
Members
(03-10-2013, 11:58 AM)yrmt Wrote: ne0phyte, I like that battlestation! How's the FiiO?
It's great.
I recently replaced my FiiO E10 with the E17 + E09K combo. I'm using the E17 on the bus and at work with my ATH-M50 and at home with the 250 Ohm DT 990 Pro.
There is a clearly noticable difference in sound quality between onboard, E10, E17 and finally E09K + E17. The latter sounds the cleanest and I love the physical volume knob :D

You can probably get a better DAC/AMP for less than what the two cost, but since I'm using the E17 at home and on the go this was the best solution for me. The treble/bass control is _really_ nice. It doesn't get boomy at all with added bass compared to the E10.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I want to get some Schiit Lyr amp and BIfrost DAC.
trgc
Members
[Image: FyTzYc4h.jpg]
Upgraded to an SSD: http://imgur.com/a/EJqQf
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
Ippytraxx
Members
(16-11-2013, 10:22 PM)trgc Wrote:
[Image: FyTzYc4h.jpg]
Upgraded to an SSD: http://imgur.com/a/EJqQf

Clean! Although -1 for MBP but +1 for cool soldering station.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
-1 for MBP? why?
trgc
Members
He hatin'
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
Ippytraxx
Members
(17-11-2013, 03:55 PM)yrmt Wrote: -1 for MBP? why?

Overpriced. Mid-tier components for 2-3x the normal price. Also the sense of elitism that people try to incite when they pull one out just irks me. Spend your money instead on a decent Thinkpad or Clevo, load your favourite *nix and be done with it. Use the rest of the money on something more worthwhile.

Plus that shit overheats like nuclear reactor during a meltdown. My friend owns one and he had to buy one of those dumb cooling pads to stop it from overheating.

inb4 build quality, still not worth it.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Mine never overheats, he must have a defect one.
trgc
Members
I saw it as an investment, as I often choose to sell my computers after a few years of use. I found macs generally held value better than any other laptop hardware.

Plus the specs really aren't that bad anymore. Pre Intel perhaps, but they've come a long way.
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
Ippytraxx
Members
You guys are not getting my point! Sure it's small (most laptops are so not really a good reason), holds it's value, whatever. My main gripe is that it's just too expensive for what you get and because of that has become some stupid status symbol.

I really wouldn't have a problem with macs if they just reduced the price by about 50%. Still would be a piece of crap but at least it wouldn't be a glorified piece of crap.

> Mine never overheats, he must have a defect one.
The ever so wonderful and helpful Apple technical support said this was normal.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Quote: really wouldn't have a problem with macs if they just reduced the price by about 50%.

It's objectively far superior to many laptops 20% cheaper.
kirby
Long time nixers
(17-11-2013, 08:16 PM)Ippytraxx Wrote: inb4 build quality, still not worth it.

To be fair, build quality is a very big thing. I got my Dell last year and have had numerous issues involving calling out an engineer 7 times and 3 motherboard replacements. The whole thing has only cost me £29 I guess, but the time wasted and apparent unreliability (it randomly wouldn't turn on today, apparently there was a processor error but now it magically works again), has made me appreciate build quality quite a bit. Meanwhile my 4 year old Acer netbook has stood up like a saint and lasted the whole time without issue.

My next laptop will either be Apple or Leveno I think.
trgc
Members
Have you looked at the specs at all? It's rather ridiculous to think they're only worth half the price when compared to other laptops.

Build quality is huge. I'm not sure why so many often dismiss that. I don't see it as a status symbol, simply happy to own such a fine example of engineering.
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
Ippytraxx
Members
Click for kindling.
(18-11-2013, 12:32 PM)yrmt Wrote:
Quote: really wouldn't have a problem with macs if they just reduced the price by about 50%.

It's objectively far superior to many laptops 20% cheaper.

Maybe to laptops 70% cheaper. Also you must be pretty damn objective to think it's superior to something like this considering the price.

Clevo X230ST 13" | MBP 15"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
i7 Quad core 2.4Ghz | i7 Quad core 2.3Ghz
16Gb 1600Mhz | 16Gb 1600Mhz
GTX 765m 2Gb GDDR5 | GTX 750m 2Gb GDDR5
480Gb SSD | 512Gb SSD
AC wireless card | N wireless card

Extras for the Clevo:
2 extra HDD bays
All components are interchangeable, even the screen and keyboard.
Upgradeable battery.
Smaller and lighter.
Has an actual headphone and mic jack, not a cheap ass combo jack.
VGA out, many projectors still use this.
4 USB 3 ports (MBP has only 2).

Personal:
Has two physical mouse buttons and not a all-in-one clickpad.

Cost
Clevo: 13199 Kr (~$2000 USD) shipped from mysn.se.

MBP: 23 795 Kr (~$3600 USD) shipped from apple.se

Not only does the Clevo have a faster CPU, much better GPU, is smaller, lighter a
nd has better customization options. It is also almost 50% cheaper...

How can it be "objectively better" to something 20% cheaper when a 50% cheaper laptop blows it out of the water?

(18-11-2013, 01:14 PM)trgc Wrote: Have you looked at the specs at all? It's rather ridiculous to think they're only worth half the price when compared to other laptops.

Build quality is huge. I'm not sure why so many often dismiss that. I don't see it as a status symbol, simply happy to own such a fine example of engineering.

Because it's fake. I've seen 10 times more people with cracked iPhone and iPad screens than I have others. Apple makes their shit in a sweatshop like everybody else.
tbuck153
Members
Moved back to the parents for a while. (Sister's old room hence the pink carpets :P)

Finally a bit of desk space and good speaks
[Image: ZBG]

The view of the lake
[Image: TboFCY]
vosh
Members
[Image: DSCN7617.jpg]
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers

Is that OpenBSD? :p
mickey
Members
(03-10-2013, 11:14 AM)ne0phyte Wrote: Since a Battlestation-thread is how I found out about unixhub (see here Deskthority.net - Post your desktop!):
Here is mine :P
[Image: 9Pi5Dpy.jpg]

That headphone amp looks Good.Which one.
funriz
Members
[Image: qBp6XW5.jpg]
Deliverance
Members
[Image: JKipE5v.jpg]
zygotb
Long time nixers
Here's one for yrmt.
[Image: Dz8u0]
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers