hades
Just felt like doing some Data mining. What jobs do you guys have (preferably tech-related).. if you don't have a tech job, what kind of tech job do you dream of?

Do you like your job? What does the job entail?

What education did you have before you got the job?

I currently work at Subway while I'm between college and Basic Training. I'm going into the Air National Guard to do Infrastructure, which is basically the military's term for "Network administration". I have a two-year degree in Information Technology, but once I'm done with basic, I plan to attend USM and get myself a fancy CS degree (and I'll be damned if there's no SICP in my textbook list) with a minor in Education.

I want to be a teacher and teach Computer Science (preferably programming). However, if I'm offered a decently-high paying Sysadmin position at a company where I'm guaranteed never to have to touch Windows servers, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Share your career info and your dreams below.
Jayro
I have been working in the support department of a hosting company for a few years now. However, I was just hired as a Front End Developer and will be leaving the hosting company in 2 weeks. I am in my first year of College.
trgc
I'm a Marine in avionics. I troubleshoot the electronics off the bird and try to keep the pilots happy. Haven't gone to college yet though I do have a pretty good amount of credits.

When I get out I'm hoping to get a hands on job with electronics. Maybe surface mount soldering and what not. I enjoy the non physical side of computing more, which is why I'd like to keep it a hobby.
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
kirby
(02-12-2013, 01:05 PM)trgc Wrote: I enjoy the non physical side of computing more, which is why I'd like to keep it a hobby.

Interesting view that, I'm guessing you feel doing your hobby day-in/day-out would make you lose interest? I'm utterly hopeless at Electronics, so that's less of an option for myself.

As for me, I'm still in Sixth Form (last year, equivalent to 12th grade if that means anything), studying Computing, Maths and English Lit. I have no job on the side but I could do with getting one.
trgc
(02-12-2013, 01:51 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(02-12-2013, 01:05 PM)trgc Wrote: I'm a Marine in avionics. I troubleshoot the electronics off the bird and try to keep the pilots happy. Haven't gone to college yet though I do have a pretty good amount of credits.

When I get out I'm hoping to get a hands on job with electronics. Maybe surface mount soldering and what not. I enjoy the non physical side of computing more, which is why I'd like to keep it a hobby.

Do you mean like embedded systems?

I mean anything physical with electronics. Whether it be circuit board construction, prototyping, repair... it's an art and I enjoy it. However I enjoy the software side more, but in a not day in day out kind of way. Programming, administrative tasks, muh younix, all things I enjoy but like to do on my own. Perhaps I'd start my own business in these areas, but I'd never work for the man if I can help it.
Klan9 > Plan9! (H0pe)
Klan9foLyfe
zygotb
I'm a farmer, raising ornamental foliage, shrubbery, and palm trees, for sale to real estate developers, interior decorators, and others.
The current market niche is in hard-to-kill office plants, which means I grow plants that even an idiot can grow if you can remember to water and feed regularly.
Luckily for me there is ample rainfall here, and time-release fertilizers are my choice of nutrients for the plants, so propagation is as easy as making cuttings and sticking them into cinder-soil. They root up in a couple of weeks and are ready to ship in a few months.
Since the plants are not food crops I can use pest control measures which are not approved for use on food crops, and thereby am able to pass inspection for export.
It started out as a hobby, and grew to what it is today, but I still don't work very hard, and many days I don't work at all.
Houseoftea
I'm still in highschool so I don't have any of the cool jobs like you lot.

Last summer I worked as a laborer for a construction company and now I work in a bakery.

I wish I could get a better job :(
Laserswald
I am a cashier at the local Wendy's. I hate my job with a passion. There simply is nowhere around here to get a technology job. I'm going to move to the city soon.
vypr
I guess this thread is being revived.

I'd be a sysadmin or web designer/developer. Another thing I dig is game development and infosec.
Code:
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
G d s+:++ a--- C++ UB P+ L+ !E !W+++ !N !o K--? w++ !O M++ !V PS+++ PE-- Y++ PGP+ !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI D++ G e- h r y--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

buddhist ~ esperantisto ~ communist
ninjacharlie
Still in highschool, but I've got a job as a software developer at a local startup. Hoping to eventually get into electrical engineering :)

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode