A **Nixers** Collaborative Distro? - GNU/Linux
jobss
(07-04-2014, 08:04 AM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: Will this project be going ahead, or has it turned into vaporware? If it's the latter, then shouldn't we try to have a community project which is less ambitious than a whole distro?

I made a proposal for a browser :D

But I do wish this distro will get off the ground.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
z3bra
A distro would obviously make a good project. But I'm not sure the community is ready for something that huge already.

We don't know the skills of many people when it comes to programming, versionning, managing a distro. I personnally never set up an LFS, and I have no idea on how to create a base distro from scratch. I can setup an init system, fire up some services and such... But I have no idea about what *REALLY* happens between the bootloader and the first line that show up in the TTY.

ATM, I think that a smaller project would be a better bet. The problem will then be: WHAT?

A browser, a WM, a firewall, a panel, a notification system, ...
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
rudylorren
What about a super minimal (almost) DE. ie, one package with a WM, panel, notification system.

my biggest gripe with wm's now is that you have to hack together not necessarily cohesive elements to get what you want.
jobss
(08-04-2014, 10:49 AM)rudylorren Wrote: What about a super minimal (almost) DE. ie, one package with a WM, panel, notification system.

my biggest gripe with wm's now is that you have to hack together not necessarily cohesive elements to get what you want.

To keep it minimal we could write it in javascript.

^.^
berk
(08-04-2014, 11:37 AM)jobss Wrote: javascript.

nah
z3bra
@jobss, and as it's minimal, tiny, but strong, let's call it GNOME DWARF !

rudylorren Wrote:What about a super minimal (almost) DE. ie, one package with a WM, panel, notification system.
Impossible because that's the exact opposite of minimalism. At first, you ship a WM + panel, but then you'll add a notification system to add "cohesion", and to make it easier to use, default applications. Oh, really light applications obviously! We're shipping something minimal after all. And to make it even more minimal, we can rewrite every app by ourselves, using a single library that we will create!

*BAM* you're the GNOME team. Minimalism IS minimalist because a single user pick whatever he wants, and sort every app
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
rudylorren
:) good point
jobss
(08-04-2014, 12:09 PM)z3bra Wrote: @jobss, and as it's minimal, tiny, but strong, let's call it GNOME DWARF !

rudylorren Wrote:What about a super minimal (almost) DE. ie, one package with a WM, panel, notification system.
Impossible because that's the exact opposite of minimalism. At first, you ship a WM + panel, but then you'll add a notification system to add "cohesion", and to make it easier to use, default applications. Oh, really light applications obviously! We're shipping something minimal after all. And to make it even more minimal, we can rewrite every app by ourselves, using a single library that we will create!

*BAM* you're the GNOME team. Minimalism IS minimalist because a single user pick whatever he wants, and sort every app

Elementary is kind of doing the same thing too.

Dwarf, would be a cool name for whatever DE project that would be produced.
z3bra
Elementary, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE. That's the leitmotiv of every DE maker
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode