A **Nixers** Collaborative Distro? - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
crshd
Registered
Another pro for a distro would be that it's an ongoing project. We could still be working on it for years from now, while a game is pretty much done when it's done.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

jobss
Long time nixers
I was actually thinking about having a UnixHub distro a while ago but forgot my login. :P

What could make our distro more cool, then another distro is, instead of going for the traditional KDE, GNOME, etc. etc. we could incorporate HTML5, and have that be our entire DE or WM. This way more people can customize their desktop easily and change it differently every day for life.

Joli OS before they killed their Desktop version had their desktop as HTML5, so we could take their code and compile it for any OS base that we chose.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
jobss
Long time nixers
Found a online working example of a HTML5/javascript desktop that works on Linux. The code is available online, but they have an example of a desktop working at this link. http:// http://www.rlamana.es/ventus/cod...s/desktop

Imagine all the possibilities. Slicker transitions, faster responsiveness on older computers, modern design.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
crshd
Registered
Being a webdev, I'd love the idea of an HTML desktop, even though I think it'd be somewhat strange. The only problem I see is that to do it properly, we would have to do our own GUI utilities from scratch. So we'd end up reinventing the wheel over and over and over again...

Also, pretty much nobody here uses any GUI stuff, so the distro would end up being something everybody just works on for the fun of it, instead of actually using it. I think we would be better off focusing our efforts on something that everybody here would actually want to use on a daily basis.

GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+

BigE
Members
You guys want a project? Fork Firefox and de-bloat the hell out of it. Remove support for flash and every other shitty obscure file format, etc. Then just merge regular FF security patches into it, and bam, baller FF ala- FF3.6,
[Image: a0QZxXO.gif]
crshd
Registered
So - turn it into IE with security patches?

casscode
Members
another vote for a distro, doesn't have to be on headlines, I've played around with the idea(LFS) but just can't do it on my own. A game would be nice and all, but I find a distro to be more exciting, just knowing that your pc literally has that UnixHub feel to it is just too good a feeling(though I'm not an avid poster, I do visit this site quite a lot(stalker? maybe not)).
Even if the decision is to create a game, I'm in
kyuzii
Registered
I'm going to also chime in for a distro.

A game would be cool, but I think a distro would personally be more fitting. Perhaps this is too big of an endeavour, but a game could always be part of the distro project itself.

Personally, I don't seem to know any distros that aim for pure productivity, and also looks really \slick\ out of the box. It might be a cool niche to look into.

It doesn't _have_ to be up at the top of distrowatch, but I feel there's still a lot of potential in creating something new and creative with all the neat technologies coming out.
venam
Administrators
We should all agree of what the OS will be composed of.
Remember an OS is the composition of kernel + file system + utilities + softwares (+-) interface.
It would be nice to be able to have ZFS on our OS.
jazzycool
Long time nixers
This is an amazing idea! If you need any help with high level programs using python and java (A noob) but would be glad to help you guys out.
Human Knowledge Belongs To The World.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(21-02-2014, 01:51 AM)venam Wrote: We should all agree of what the OS will be composed of.
Remember an OS is the composition of kernel + file system + utilities + softwares (+-) interface.
It would be nice to be able to have ZFS on our OS.

I won't actually be contributing to this project but this seems like a step in the right direction.
ajac
Members
plan9 is now licensed under GPL2, mafia, your glenda icon reminded me...

certainly that is good news for this project! :)
vompatti
Long time nixers
Whats y'all waiting for? Let's get this shit started, someone fork debian already.
What's programmers favorite thing to do? DELETE CODE!
Git: https://github.com/vhakulinen
oh no you didnt
ichiban
Long time nixers
Are we building it from scratch, or forking an existing distro? Rolling release, bleeding edge, graphical installer (fork Fedora's Anaconda) or CLI, default file system (my vote's for btrfs), etc. - important design choices we need to decide from the start.
kirby
Long time nixers
Random idea that popped up on the IRC, how about a tiling window manager that runs on Wayland? At the moment it seems like their won't be many, it seems more manageable than a distro and is something I at least would use. There's plenty of WMs we could fork to get started from, or start from the ground up. We have people here with experience of writing them as well.
ichiban
Long time nixers
I thought we had agreed on a distro? Tiling WM on Wayland, though - it would make more sense to simply write a shell for Weston. Why not have a tiling Weston shell on our UnixHub distro?
kirby
Long time nixers
It's cool if we have, just throwing out there in case we hadn't. I'm not really sure where we are with the whole thing (perhaps keep a status update in the OP?).
ichiban
Long time nixers
Thank you, NeoTerra - it should help keep the conversations individual from the main chat.

In terms of logistics, however, is there a way we could host a Git server here on UnixHub, such as the subdomain git.unixhub.net, or are we going to keep the project on the UnixHub GitHub?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I suggest you use GitHub for now.
LibertarianBroci
Members
Instead of using the GNU coreutils, we should use Busybox.
hades
Long time nixers
Yes, Busybox would be ideal for a minimal system.
kirby
Long time nixers
Is this still going? It was mostly let by ichiban, who I haven't seen since the split.
ichiban
Long time nixers
Do you still want it going? I still have most of the work I did on it.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Yes, this could be an interesting learning experience for some people on nixers :)
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
Busybox is not they way we should go. Busybox contains the coreutils in a single binary; thats not that modular a distro should be.
Better we use sbase or make our own.

Lets think a bit deeper: What about libc? I think it would be nice if we're creating a static linked Linux with an alternate libc like muscle instead of glibc.
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
ichiban
Long time nixers
As of right now, the libc I'm using is Musl, which has worked out pretty well. I'm ope to suggestions, though.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
Alright, then we will use musl-libc. And please not busybox-utils for daily use; pleaase
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Is there a GitHub repo (or similar) where we can contribute? Even if it's just a wiki, that'd be more than we have now. It'd be nice if the community had somewhere to direct their efforts instead of just conversation on this forum and IRC. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention and there is somewhere I can help out that I haven't found...
my website: kaashif.co.uk
Saos
Long time nixers
I'm really looking forward to this in terms of learning how an OS is really built. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute in that area, but like I've said before, I did splash screens and logos for Amzo and ArchBSD. I'd be happy to help in that area.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
pizzaroll1 Wrote:Is there a GitHub repo (or similar) where we can contribute?
We can just ask dami to create a Community repo on git.slienz.it. We never had a wiki tho but if you want to make it… go ahead.

In any other case we just can show the results in a codebox if there is somthing new.

We should talk about more generic things like versioncontroling and packagemanagement imo.