Finalizing initial distro design decisions - GNU/Linux
crshd
(04-03-2014, 11:08 AM)berk Wrote: - We should use git for version control

Good point. I think everybody just took that for granted, thanks for actually writing it down.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

berk
http://suckless.org/rocks
http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/

Some of the things here are stuff we should really stick to.
cyberpunkz
UHL , sounds like a hockey league eh.

GNU/Linux is not UNIX , or even have UNIX roots.
BSD (OS X & FreeBSD)
UNIX & VMS/VAX emulation simh: Ultrix 4.3BSD, WISC UNIX, OpenVMS 7.3, and
SunOS Solaris.
PekWM :: BMPanel2
pvtmert
HubLinux is another choice... You may create recursive name (i like recursive names)

Im using slackware/slax so init system is bsd-ish. I like the way rc scripts, and init system... Its easy and basic. Not a fan of debian/ubuntu like init system (whatever they use)

I think just do and it works logic is good. You just create script and it works, you just start X and it works too... You just press power and it boots, you just close lid it sleeps... (Also you can change all by editing scripts and you can do whatever you want / even ejecting dvd by closing lid)
Code:
Slax 7.0.8 (32-bits + PAE)
----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GE/CS/CM/S d+@ s-:- a--- C++++(++) UL+++ P+ L+++ E?() W+++(++) N? o? K- w+
O M-- V- PS+ PE Y? PGP- t+ 5? X++++(+++) R- !tv b+ DI? D- G e- h+ r-- z--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
berk
I would like to learn why we are not going for a BSD base, please. It looked like a direct assumption, judging from the OP.
ichiban
Well, for one, this is a desktop distro, or at least, aimed at desktops, so a broad range of hardware support, and large community of developers is key. BSD simply can't provide the community of developers that GNU/Linux can.
pizzaroll1
OpenBSD and NetBSD have little support for newer Nvidia cards, and FreeBSD only supports them with a binary driver. That's the problem with using a BSD base for a desktop OS, you exclude most people with Nvidia cards. Unless someone ports Nouveau, we'd be better off with Linux.

I like BSD as much as the next guy, but I also have a few laptops with Nvidia cards, and I'm sure lots of people here do, too.

Unless we want to help the BSDs with porting Nouveau...
my website: kaashif.co.uk
Mafia
I thought the Linux base was already decided, using the BSD base just leaves out too large of a crowd. It's UH's first Distro, support is something it WILL NEED.
DotDev
^ What Mafia said.

I would like a default ZFS just because i feel like ZFS isn't a common filesystem at least for linux and it'll be something a lot of the bsd users will enjoy so basically it's the best of two worlds.
Mafia
(08-03-2014, 02:24 AM)DotDev Wrote: ^ What Mafia said.

I would like a default ZFS just because i feel like ZFS isn't a common filesystem at least for linux and it'll be something a lot of the bsd users will enjoy so basically it's the best of two worlds.

Damn right, I also was gonna comment on that. I used ZFS for the first time recently when I switched one of my laptops to FreeBSD. It's nice.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode