Ricerous, A Community Project About Ricing - Desktop Customization & Workflow
venam
I'll keep the votes up for another week and then the name with the most votes will win.

Here are the current positioning:
ricerous 4 23.53%
rice tracker 2 11.76%
ricer cftk (config tracker) 1 5.88%
ricer helper 1 5.88%
ricer diary 1 5.88%
ricer introducer* 1 5.88%
rice reference 1 5.88%
rice portable wiki 1 5.88%
nixers ricer 1 5.88%
other 4 23.53%
In the other options we have:
bagOfRice - earsplit
rice cooker - thetornainbow
unmentioned - dcat
unmentioned - towa
hades
I voted for ricerous, but then I thought of another possible name: ricericebby ("Rice, Rice, baby!")

Also, there isn't a program in the AUR or in the debian repos named "rice". We could just name it "rice". Nice, simple, and 4 letters. Something about it being 4 letters makes it the perfect program name to me.
venam
(31-08-2014, 05:38 PM)dbcooper Wrote: I voted for ricerous, but then I thought of another possible name: ricericebby ("Rice, Rice, baby!")
We need to settle for a name to create the common repo with the backend and the frontend. This will be the next big step so that the program is easily testable and usable. Adding new names to the list only adds more difficulties. In 4 days I'll close the poll and we'll use the most voted name. If you want to use "ricericebby" get persons to bump the thread saying that they agree.

(31-08-2014, 05:38 PM)dbcooper Wrote: Also, there isn't a program in the AUR or in the debian repos named "rice". We could just name it "rice". Nice, simple, and 4 letters. Something about it being 4 letters makes it the perfect program name to me.
It's a huge burden to use the "rice" name for this little program. It would have to be the image when people talk about rice which it isn't.
hades
Ah, I see. My vote for ricerous stands, then.
xero
nix & rice?
pizzaroll1
It would be nice if this project had a setup.py (using distutils) so you could just so "python setup.py install" and it'd work. I forked it and wrote the setup.py, but then I realised the whole structure of the repo would need to change, so I deleted the fork, because you should probably be the one to change all of the code, when the time comes. I suppose it's more important to get the program itself to work first.

Writing an easy to use setup script and good documentation never hurts, though, and would save time when you inevitably need to convert the project to distutils.
my website: kaashif.co.uk
venam
(02-09-2014, 04:34 PM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: It would be nice if this project had a setup.py (using distutils) so you could just so "python setup.py install" and it'd work. I forked it and wrote the setup.py, but then I realised the whole structure of the repo would need to change, so I deleted the fork, because you should probably be the one to change all of the code, when the time comes. I suppose it's more important to get the program itself to work first.

Writing an easy to use setup script and good documentation never hurts, though, and would save time when you inevitably need to convert the project to distutils.
I was working on it some days ago but I had problems choosing the location of the configs.
venam
So, it's been a week. I'll remove the poll.
Here are the results:
ricerous wins with
6 votes (27.27% of the total)
In second place we had:

ricer cftk (config tracker) with 2 votes (9.09%)
rice tracker with 2 votes (9.09%)
rice reference with 2 votes (9.09%)
nixers ricer with 2 votes (9.09%)

Thank you all for voting!
venam
I updated the todo list.
Here it is for the lazy ones:

What Needs To Be Done
  • Start a common repository under the name "ricerous"
  • Review the information on the pad http://titanpad.com/ricing. (Doesn't need programming knowledge)
  • Help cleaning the frontend code (Kivy)
  • Add comments to the code (done to the backend, will need to be done to the frontend after cleaning)
  • Test/Debug the Program (Doesn't need programming knowledge)
  • Package the program (setup.py)
  • Choose a license
  • Get more ideas for outputers templates other than html,markdown, and bbcode. (Doesn't need programming knowledge)
venam
I've update the main post. We finally created a common repository for the project under the name "ricerous".
Here's the new TODO list for the lazy ones that don't want to re-check the main post.
What Needs To Be Done
  • Write a good readme file for the repository
  • Update the code in a way that won't need 2 branches for python2 and python3
  • Review the information on the pad http://titanpad.com/ricing. (Doesn't need programming knowledge)
  • Help cleaning the frontend code (Kivy)
  • Add comments to the code (done to the backend, will need to be done to the frontend after cleaning)
  • Test/Debug the Program (Doesn't need programming knowledge)
  • Package the program (setup.py)
  • Choose a license
  • Get more ideas for outputers templates other than html,markdown, and bbcode. (Doesn't need programming knowledge)

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode