What shell do you guys use? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
JerrySpringerIsMyDad
Members
I usually end up using bash. Is there and good reason I shouldn't?
smlb
Members
I personally use zsh, loving some nice features that this shell offers (good auto-completion with tabbing), oh-my-zsh or better grml config.
eye
Members
zsh with oh-my-zsh.
kirby
Long time nixers
Bash here, never seen the need for anything else. I must admit that the fish shell looks cool though.
dcli
Long time nixers
I used bash forever and decided to use zsh with oh-my-zsh the other day. It's pretty much the same for me, I can't say it's really any faster. The colors for oh-my-zsh don't suit my white terminal tho
casscode
Members
zsh for the completion, bash or scripting
shtols
Long time nixers
Client-shell-of-choice still is bash. On servers: A wide variety, except zsh.
dcli
Long time nixers
k
(30-07-2014, 07:22 PM)kirby Wrote: Bash here, never seen the need for anything else. I must admit that the fish shell looks cool though.
That shell looks neat! I want to try other ones, so that'll be on the list.
I've also heard good things about mksh, does anyone use that here?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
You should ask ypnose for that. Check out his blog also, its quitte Nice : http://blog.ypnose.org
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
jobss
Long time nixers
bash had that bug tho. I use hush its very lightweight.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
xero
Long time nixers
i use zsh. it seems like there's a completion system for everything. i also like the simple setup for thinks like keybindings, prompts, path expansions, extended glob searches, and it's own internal function system for thinks like git.
nopc0de
Members
Fish (http://fishshell.com/)!

It's really cool. Offers a lot of improvements over bash like zsh but without the hours spent configuring it.
b4dtR1p
Members
i use zsh and bash for scripting on linux, bsd and osx
░ ░░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░▒ ▒░

░ ░ ░ ░ ░
projektile
Members
(30-07-2014, 10:06 AM)JerrySpringerIsMyDad Wrote: I usually end up using bash. Is there and good reason I shouldn't?
there isn't by any means anything wrong with bash. buuuut, zsh is a bit more flexible, is entirely compatable with bash, and weighs less.
dcat
Members
zsh for looking pretty, mksh for everything else.
venam
Administrators
zsh on my personal machines, bash on servers or anything that comes by default on the OS.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Mostly bash for interactive use, but I (try) to write POSIX shell scripts (/bin/sh on my server is aliased to /bin/busybox, so ash by default)
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
I like to give users zsh for interactive stuff, for root-affairs always mksh.
With scripts it depends on the needs. Should it be portable -> /bin/sh. Should it be fancy -> zsh. In any other case I use bash for scripting, because it's easy to handle.
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
delucks
Members
I use zsh with zsh-syntax-highlighting when I want to look good. oh-my-zsh is too heavy for me.
sodaphish
Long time nixers
`which sh`
/bin/bash

fuckyeah.jpg
exp0sure
Long time nixers

I personally use zsh, but came across someone using fish on http://usesthis.com and I looked it up. It looks good, how are you liking it?
--
Unix is user-friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are.
rwzy
Members
Fish's design philosophy is absolutely horrendous.
kaludis
Members
zsh everywhere.
cadav3rous
Registered
normal user: zsh / root: tcsh
Mafia
Long time nixers
ksh, because openbsd.
rocx
Members
bash(1) because I'm to lazy to chsh(1) to anything else.
Tmplt
Long time nixers
zsh(1) because of zim.
jkl
Long time nixers
ksh93 everywhere because of POSIX.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
robotchaos
Long time nixers
rc, i love its syntax and it is my initials
r4ndom
Members
i'm using bash. previously i used zsh with zim, which was handy, but for my needs, to much.