Can someone describe tmux to me? - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
dcli
Long time nixers
I have tmux, and everyone talks about tmux, but can someone describe it to me? I can't tell if it keeps programs running all the time or what. What applications does it have? Do you guys always use it?
pvtmert
Members
tmux is basically converts your terminal screen to unix socket so you can access and attach to your current one.

if you ssh into server and want to log out when downloading / installing something you can open it in tmux session then detach (pref + d) session. your programs will continue while you are not connected

you can re-attach to that session by 'tmux att'

you can create windows and panels (split screens) different shells you can use your mouse to move them

my tmux config:
Code:
# ___
# ~/.tmux.conf
# TMUX configuration file

set -g default-terminal "$TERM"
set -g prefix C-a
set -g status-position top

set -g monitor-activity on
set -g visual-activity on

set -g status-fg black
set -g status-bg cyan

set -g message-fg white
set -g message-bg red

set -g mode-mouse on
set -g mouse-resize-pane on
set -g mouse-select-pane on
set -g mouse-select-window on

bind-key C-a last-window
bind-key a send-prefix
set -g base-index 1
set -s escape-time 0
setw -g aggressive-resize on

tmux is a unix socket but there is alternatives... such as dvtm or something like that.
you can say tmux is a new gnu-screen... altrough i dont know differences... i generally use screen to 'screen' into a external tty (ttyUSB0 ttyACM0 etc)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
This is a terminal multiplexer, which means that you can use it to "spawn" multiple terminals. You can see it as "tabs" on your web browser. They're all "linked" to the same app, but allow performing different tasks.

That's the terminal multiplexing part. Over it, tmux provide another feature: the panes. You can split the tmux display into multiple parts, in order to display more than one terminal at the same time.
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER