UNIX Diary - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses
Steph
Dear UNIX diary,

I have been loving project euler. I can spend whole afternoons trying to solve problems in elegant ways with python.
I discovered it at a horrible time though, what with exams in math and chemistry looming.

Also. I have been trying to break into LaTeX and free myself from the chains of microsoft office once and for all, but am having trouble making the switch. WYSIWYG is a tough drug to kick when you've been raised on it.

Peace.
rocx
(28-10-2018, 05:23 PM)Steph Wrote: Also. I have been trying to break into LaTeX and free myself from the chains of microsoft office once and for all, but am having trouble making the switch. WYSIWYG is a tough drug to kick when you've been raised on it.

WYSIWYG is a paradigm for quickly typesetting up something quick and dirty. There's no shame in liking it as it eliminates a lot of the tedium of writing a complex (La)TeX document for short papers. Though it's nice being able to still write with my text editor of choice...

Sticking with (La)TeX, you should give LyX a shot. It's what-you-see-is-what-you-mean and still renders a beautiful TeX document.
jkl
Dear UNIX diary,

inspired by Steph's remark about Project Euler, I started diving into APL. I am sufficiently confused, but I like the relative terseness of the syntax. While I don't work as a mathematician, APL seems to be the missing link between bc/dc for simple calculations and Lisp for dynamic calculations based on user input. Hmm, lovely.
pranomostro
Dear UNIX diary,

I really wanted to like plain TeX, but it does not even have listings built into it, so I often have to resort to using LaTeX, which is okay, but not really what I wanted. Having some acceptable math/programming typesetting that's not hundreds of megabytes big and actually readable (which singles out [gtn]roff, LaTeX and markdown) would be pretty nice.

Also, why is there no single-standing plain TeX distribution? Everything has been submerged undere TeXlive, which is kind disappointing.

Also,
Code:
wget -mpck --user-agent="" -e robots=off --wait 1 site.com
<3
anthk
Dear UNIX diary,

I tried to setup a more UNIX-oriented desktop with modular tools under OpenBSD/CWM, so I switched to mail/nmh/fetchmail and local sendmail relay(1) as my main MUA/MTA. It works great so far, and upon setting ~/.maildelivery I don't need bogofilter.

My main IM client is now Bitlbee + IRSSI+fnotify.pl with a custom notifier with dunst a notify-send. No surprises, ultralightweight and the workflow is the same everywhere, no matter if I am at Freenode or at Telegram. Even DCC works.

Also, I switched to a pure monochrome XTerm envvar, (export TERM=xterm-old), with a black/white theme on everything, among a simple IRSSI theme. Nethack gets a bit more difficult, but it's still playable.

My phone and GF's instagram photos are both downloaded with gphoto and instalooper. No Digikam or any bloated suite, just run both from a script and the two folders will be in sync. I fire up sxiv(1) and everything is fine, right there. What I miss is a suckless-like tool in order to geotag my trekking routes and photos, so I am stuck with VikingGPS from now.

Finally, I've got loads of suckless tools to manage my life. I use spt(1) to create good habits and timewarrior/taskwarrior with a hook to the first so I can track the time spent on coding. I am currently learning Perl5 from the Oreilly CD Bookshelf and ANSI C from K&R. I skipped a few chapters because some fuctions already where on stdio.h and reimplementing them as an exercise got tedious.
pranomostro
Dear unix diary,

I love spaced repetition now (quick side-note: gwerns site is amazing).
I use the quite nicely programmed fulgurate and am enjoying it hugely. It's not far away on the command line, and ~20min per day can be easily afforded.

I have started writing down both questions and predictions I have, and I think I have finally found a good for-me-universal format to store them in.
gaak
(06-11-2018, 09:06 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Dear UNIX diary,

I really wanted to like plain TeX, but it does not even have listings built into it

Code:
\overfullrule=0pt                                              
\def\shellStyle{\tt\parskip=0pt}                              
\def\uncatcodespecials{\def\do##1{\catcode`##1=12 }\dospecials}
\catcode`\ =\active                                            
\catcode`\^^Z=\active                                          
\catcode`\^^M=\active%                                        
\def\shell{\bgroup\shellStyle%                                
\catcode`\^^M=\active \def^^M{\hfil\par}%                    
\uncatcodespecials%                                          
\gdef {\leavevmode\space}%                                    
\obeyspaces%