UNIX Diary - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses
fre d die
Dear Unix diary,
last thursday i installed gentoo sucsessfully for the first time. last time i tried was probably 2017 and always ran into problems at with grub. i recently decided its time to get rid of my mac and get a thinkpad. writing this from my thinkpad with gentoo! loving it so far. less problems than i expected... so far...
phillbush
Dear Unix diary,
That's the first time I am logged in in X with the window manager I wrote.
Until now I have only used it with Xephyr (a utility that simulates a X session in a window).

It was a hard task to write a window manager from scratch (although I stole some routines from dwm). I had to rewrite it twice, and it still has old code from the first versions (I still have to look through the code for them and eliminate them).

I decided to write a wm because I couldn't find one that fulfilled my needs.
For now, it is EWMH compliant (only the best parts) and supports multi-monitor (although it segfaults when I disconnect a monitor, but I'm working on that).
It was fun to write it and I passed the last four weeks in this project.

It is not usable for others though, I still have to document it and work more on some edge cases, but I think that it is going to replace cwm as my daily driver.

There are some features I need to add to it, such as using mouse to move/resize windows (for now I'm using wmutils' xmmv and xmrs for this). But it is totally usable (for me, at least).

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode