What will the world of Linux be like in 3 years time? - GNU/Linux
Foggalong
In the last 3 years:

* the kernel turned over to version 3
* the raspberry pis came out
* steam came to Linux bringing with it
* loads of native games
* much better graphics support

and much more besides. Pretty much anyone can just download Linux, install it, and have everything work out-the-box. My question to you is, what will the world of Linux be like in 3 years time?
xero
there's gonna be a "great schism" those who will use 1 click installers (e.g. ubuntu/debian, elementary, etc) and those who build everything from source (e.g. arch, crux, etc). i'm really hoping there'll be some kind of unification of how drivers will be written, making it easier for companies to release opensource hardware drivers, thus making it easier for those who will have to write their own. gaming is gonna explode. lots of "hardcore" computer users are gamers, and lots of them dual boot linux for computer use and something else (windoze) for gaming. is linux gets better video card support gaming will increase, and less people will dual boot. unfortunately lots of "megacorps" will invest in *nix distros and there'll be as many corp backed ones as there are indie ones.
venam
I think it'll slowly keep on moving forward.

I'm not sure if it'll ever get a high popularity rate because OSX and Windows are focusing on marketing schemes which attracts the public.
Sure thing is that we'll get more graphic and driver support due to Steam.
The future also depends on the trends, what we'll want to have. If, for example, a brand new technology that everyone wants to get is purely GNU/Linux based (unlike ChromeOS and Android) then it'll open a lot of opportunities for the community.
Foggalong
(01-10-2014, 03:38 AM)venam Wrote: purely GNU/Linux based

You mean like SteamOS?
z3bra
SystemD/Linux
venam
(01-10-2014, 03:12 PM)Foggalong Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 03:38 AM)venam Wrote: purely GNU/Linux based

You mean like SteamOS?
Indeed, as long as it doesn't hide anything from the user.
I'm very happy about SteamOS.
dunz0r
I also like SteamOS, it's more or less a debian-install which autostarts Steam.

I really hope it evolves in to something that can be used for a "complete" livingroom-pc; something that I can play games/emulators and watch movies with.
Foggalong
(02-10-2014, 07:59 AM)dunz0r Wrote: I really hope it evolves in to something that can be used for a "complete" livingroom-pc; something that I can play games/emulators and watch movies with.

They've already implemented a music player into the client so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a video player somewhere down the line too.
dunz0r

I would be happy if there was some smooth way to integrate it into Kodi/XBMC which is what my HTPC runs now. It's a bit too slow for playing games unfortunately, but maybe in the future when there are more games avaliable and SteamOS is more stable I'll switch over to it(if it has a good video player and Android remote control).
sodaphish
without any additional input, when I look at the world today and I think about what is possible for tomorrow, let alone three years from now, I can't help but think about three things: things of the future from "yesterday" (a la Bill Gates' "The Road Ahead"), things of today, and things of the future of tomorrow (a la Kaku's "Physics of the Future").

In "The Road Ahead", Gates waxed eloquent about payment systems and the Internet, which we have fully embraced today.

In today's tech, we talk about various technologies like Apple's Payment system, breaches, and next generation firewalls. This is useful, but not entirely.

In Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Future", we see how things are supposed to be. I.e. the way things are going to be.

If we looked at Linux, FreeBSD, or any other such *NIX, we are forced to look at a couple of different aspects: what we see as available today (i.e. what is in the code-base today) and what is available tomorrow (i.e. what is available in road-maps and future plans.)

When we look at today vs. tomorrow, and we consider into that all of the different things that are foretold in both "The Road Ahead" and "Physics of the Future", I can't help but think that Linux and *NIX are missing out on at least some of the consumer aspects of the future. That said, Linux and *NIX may very well be at the forefront of some aspects of the future on account of the fact that *NIX is far more open, and therefor accessible to researchers, than other operating systems.

As the foundation of the "web", its obvious that *NIX is going to play 'some' role, the question is, what role will it play? To date, Linux, in particular, has played a key role in the hand-held computing space on account of the fact that Android is Linux based. That said, if we consider that Linux is the basis for a whole variety of hand-held devices, as well as the back-end for the rest of it, I think we have to consider the central role of Linux and *NIX.

At the end of the day, all of that means that Linux and *NIX have a central role in the future of tech.

Cheers,
Soda

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode