How Paranoid are you? - Security & Cryptography

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
DotDev
Long time nixers
When it comes to to the safety and security of your possessions, a normal computer user might find your behavior/efforts at keeping your electronic devices secure to much. Anyone want to tell us what you do to keep your systems secure and/or a story related to the topic?

I encrypt my whole system, files i deem of high importance i 'chmod 600' them through root, so that only when i view/edit them i can only do it through root.I disable my internet connection 'ip link set wlp1s0 down' and only connect when i want/need to use it.I also shutdown when i'm going to leave for a period longer than 10 minutes.
kirby
Long time nixers
Great now I'm paranoid that I'm not paranoid enough. All I do is lock my computer if I'm leaving it for a bit, though when it's not in use I just turn it off because the battery is terrible. I use ssh keys I guess?
xero
Long time nixers
[Image: ha_ha.jpg]
but seriously, i do use vpn on desktop and my phone.
zr0
Members
(12-11-2014, 06:56 PM)xero Wrote:

this is great man hahahaha !
(12-11-2014, 06:56 PM)xero Wrote:
That is amazing...

I know that this thread is almost a year old, but in the past few years I have been a lot safer/smarter.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I try to always use tor, encrypt my e-mail, use ddg instead of google, not to be on facebook, and disconnect from the internet if I don't need it. I also don't own a smartphone, because there is no usable alternative that does not spy on me.

So that's it for me.
t0b1nux
Registered
Well, I think some new smartphones based on firefox OS might be game-changer in terms of security (using SELinux the good way and not android way), working to provides updates like windows and not like android (the vendor SHOULD NOT be able not to provide the newer versions of firefox OS). What do you think of it ?
dtnt
Members
You'd potentially still end up with your applications being inherently insecure. Perfect example for that is the debacle with libstagefright, Android itself might be patched now (or at least some versions might be), but there are lots of applications that still use the old, vulnerable version because the developers are unaware, too lazy or whatever may be the reason. The problem would be the same for FirefoxOS. I'll stay with my dumbphone.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Firefox OS might be an alternative, but it is not »usable« in my opinion.

I think not enough people have adopted it yet, and I don't have that much need for a smartphone at the moment.
t0b1nux
Registered
That's true but this isn't only for us. This is for everybody. If everybody uses a smartphone, we should accommodate to that and made an open one, even if for some nerds it will be useless.
That being said, I don't need a smartphone either.
apk
Long time nixers
i have nothing to add to the conversation i just wanted to find a way to type on my unicomp man this is great
(14-09-2015, 08:14 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Firefox OS might be an alternative, but it is not »usable« in my opinion.

I think not enough people have adopted it yet, and I don't have that much need for a smartphone at the moment.
The latest builds are, FF OS is shaping nicely.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
@October:
Nice to hear that. Maybe for christmas (although I would rather buy a decent keyboard).
ki113d
Members
In ALL honesty, I just don't give a fuck about anything. The most I do is keep my privacy settings on Facebook on shut-in mode to keep my biological family from finding any info on me.
Other than that there's nothing and no one I care enough about to give a fuck whether someone found out my details.

I pity the fool who is stupid enough to try and break into this sociopath's house xD