Ping Of Death... - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
For the past two days (today and yesterday) my internet connection has been really slow, 25kb/s is the max I was getting. I checked my security log (Firewall log) and noticed that for the past two days I got a "Ping Of Death from IP address to my IP address Dropped. I looked up "Ping Of Death" and it seems to be a DDOS, "A ping of death is a type of attack on a computer that involves sending a malformed or otherwise malicious ping to a computer." More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_of_death

As I am looking at the IP that the attacks are coming from, they are different and has been occurring since: 03/26/2015 20:09:48

I am not sure what to think of this, maybe I am completely wrong about this? Maybe the "Dropped" at the end means the person has failed? Maybe they just stopped? I hope this isn't anything serious.

I still don't know what to do, any suggestions?
xero
Long time nixers
if it's coming from a single port (e.g. icmp) you can try blocking that port all together. but then you will loose it's use and services might not work right anymore.

who'd you piss off? lol
(27-03-2015, 10:34 PM)xero Wrote: if it's coming from a single port (e.g. icmp) you can try blocking that port all together. but then you will loose it's use and services might not work right anymore.

who'd you piss off? lol
Everything is all good now :D

Damn you to whoever did this!
It seems that the person has attacked two more times, everything seems fine as of right now.

Hmm...
hades
Long time nixers
What might you have done to expose your IP? Do you host any servers?
(28-03-2015, 12:35 PM)dbcooper Wrote: What might you have done to expose your IP? Do you host any servers?
Nope, only thing I have is a github pages, if that counts?

Attacks are still going on.
hades
Long time nixers
I guess it could be related to the DDoS that Github is currently under, somehow.
venam
Administrators
(29-03-2015, 02:41 PM)dbcooper Wrote: I guess it could be related to the DDoS that Github is currently under, somehow.
I think so too, it's highly probably.
Possibly, everything seems fine.