Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
(04-04-2016, 12:11 AM)sshbio Wrote: You can port your favorite font to the psf format to use in tty.

I advise you to use these equivalents and these font sets to have the most complete coverage substituting characters with similar one when not available. The TTY have a maximal number of characters of 256.

That note about fonts is interesting. I didn't know it was easy to convert from one font type to another.

This will all come handy because we repeat the "week in the TTY" every summer and share our experience.
josuah
Long time nixers
(04-04-2016, 12:48 AM)venam Wrote: That note about fonts is interesting. I didn't know it was easy to convert from one font type to another.

It can raise a few issue, but it usually works fine.

(04-04-2016, 12:48 AM)venam Wrote: This will all come handy because we repeat the "week in the TTY" every summer and share our experience.

Let's do it!
ninjacharlie
Members
Huh, interesting. I didn't realize it was that easy to make a TTY font.

However, there's no way I could work consistently in the TTY, unless there's some way of using a duel monitor setup.
arcetera
Members
I might not be taking part as OpenBSD requires you to recompile the kernel to change tty fonts, and I run current.

We'll see.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Not particularly related to topic, but I'd love if sshbio mad a (very) slighter larger of miniwi. It's a great font but just needs to be larger by a couple of pixels each way for me.
josuah
Long time nixers
I am very glad you like it!

It is too small for everybody, unless it has a very small and low-res screen. It can be usefull for embedding in interfaces (status...) or semigraphics, like for drawille:

[Image: 0bMBS7J.png]

I love 11px size because it is perfect for semigraphics like tewi-font that I use:

[Image: 22310d20-fa84-11e5-9a21-ea7897ab058b.png]

I could make a 11px drawille, at least for ASCII.

But 11px is still too small for me sometimes.

What size would you like?

[Image: AFeD63R.png]
Adrift
Members
I can see the last one! :D I have it bookmarked for any raspberry pi usage later though.
venam
Administrators
(04-04-2016, 08:26 PM)sshbio Wrote:
[Image: 0bMBS7J.png]
Am I the only one that feels like the characters are flashing while scrolling the screen.

(04-04-2016, 03:44 PM)ninjacharlie Wrote: Huh, interesting. I didn't realize it was that easy to make a TTY font.
Yeah, it's very cool, It makes it much more comfortable to be in the TTY, add to that the same colors as in your X terminal emulator by using something like ttycolor.

This needs to be added to the ricerous wiki in the TTY section.
Adrift
Members
It does happen for me also, much like many seamless tile wallpapers that tightly packed. Zooming and scrolling casuses weirdness.

I have not been able to successfully convert any fonts with such tactics.

I used this to use my Xresources colors in TTY.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
(04-04-2016, 08:26 PM)sshbio Wrote: What size would you like?

[Image: AFeD63R.png]

The third one looks great. Please keep the original version though. Will still be useful on low ppi screens.
josuah
Long time nixers
This is a "I CAN'T READ IT'S TOO SMALL" version, at 12 px:

[Image: vis3x1l.png]

It only have ASCII characters, and you will need font substitution a lot. On the left, it is the same tmux sesion with tewi, that is just as big, butt feels smaller.

11px (in fact 12, 11 does not include space between characters) is now perfectly legible for me. But as it gets more legible for the same size, it could be made even smaller, like 10 px ?
Adrift
Members
I was just thinking the right seemed smaller than the left... looks great.
josuah
Long time nixers
[Image: Pb2Uv0c.png]

TTY really feels like home to me.

- "Window Manager": tmux
- Video in top left corner: mplayer framebuffer mode.
- Stuff you already know

[EDIT]: More detailled explainations if needed:
[EDIT2]: Simpler workflow.
[EDIT3]: Function to right-align

I open TTY, in it I login as normal user and startx tmux (or DVTM).

In a shell with enough priviledges, I start the video. Do it with normal user if it can have access to framebuffer (audio + video group?) or with sudo otherwise:

Code:
$ mplayer -vo fbdev2 -geometry 0:0 -vf scale=300:-3
            ^                   ^             ^   ^
           /                    |              \   `----- Vertical size: automatic
Sets the driver     Position: top left      Horizontal size: change it as you want
to fbdev2
fbdev did not                      Make sure the size is not bigger than
worke for me                       or it will complain a lot!

The video should now be small in the top left hand corner of the screen. You can setup the tmux panes to have the terminal playing the video just under the small video.

But if we want to use w3m, we need its tmux pane to be at the top left corner, or the images will be shifted, as it does not recognise the position of the pane.

Solution (fixed):

Code:
fbv()
{
        for arg in "$1" "$2"
        do
                case "$arg" in
                        [0-9]*) local width="${width-$arg}" ;;
                        *)      local video="${video-$arg}" ;;
                esac
        done
        printf 'width: %s\nvideo: %s\n' "$width" "$video"

local x="$(sed 's/,.*//' /sys/class/graphics/fb0/virtual_size)"
        local y="$(sed 's/.*,//' /sys/class/graphics/fb0/virtual_size)"
        printf 'x: %s\ny: %s\n\n' "$x" "$y"

if [ -z "$2" ]
        then
                mplayer -vo fbdev2 -vf scale="$x":"$y" "$video"
        else
                mplayer -vo fbdev2 -vf scale="$width":-3 -geometry \
                        "$(($x - $width))":0 "$video"
        fi
}

This will take two arguments: a number (the size) and the video name, in any order. It will put the video in the top riht hand corner, or if no size specified, it will play the video scaled to fullscreen.

Result:
[Image: W9xk0ko.png]
ninjacharlie
Members
wow sshbio, great setup! Thanks for the great breakdown of the command too! :D
venam
Administrators
sshbio: Did you use vain's explain tool to generate that?
He's on the forums too :D .
I didn't know about the placement of the window, that'll come in handy instead of having mplayer superposed in the middle of the screen.
josuah
Long time nixers
Thank you ninjacharlie and Venam! I'll update it today with a simple fuction to right-align the video, for it not to clash with w3m.

I did not use it, but it would have been very useful. Thank you for the tip.
venam
Administrators
We will again repeat this experiment this year.

If you want to participate it will take place between the 21th and 27th of June.

Get your TTY ready.
xero
Long time nixers
Code:
┐ ┬┬─┐┐─┐
└┌┘├─ └─┐
.┆ ┴─┘──┘

we need to lay down the ground rules
sagittarius
Members
I'm in for this year ! I just have to learn to use framebuffer as good as sshbio.
movq
Long time nixers
I'd like to participate, but there's nooooo way that I can do this at work (I also use Arch there). :/
xero
Long time nixers
(08-06-2016, 12:48 PM)vain Wrote: I'd like to participate, but there's nooooo way that I can do this at work (I also use Arch there). :/

i'm in the same boat. so i'll be participating during off hours as well. i was thinking i might try and use the tty at work and only startx if i had to.
apk
Long time nixers
(08-06-2016, 02:22 PM)xero Wrote: i'm in the same boat. so i'll be participating during off hours as well. i was thinking i might try and use the tty at work and only startx if i had to.

If you, a web developer, can spend an entire week exclusively in the tty and never have to use Xorg, you may be the greatest web developer of all time. or laziest. maybe they're the same thing. idk
xero
Long time nixers
(08-06-2016, 03:24 PM)dsplayer14 Wrote: If you, a web developer, can spend an entire week exclusively in the tty and never have to use Xorg, you may be the greatest web developer of all time. or laziest. maybe they're the same thing. idk

challenged accepted adam
acg
Members
(08-06-2016, 03:27 PM)xero Wrote:
Quote:If you, a web developer, can spend an entire week exclusively in the tty and never have to use Xorg, you may be the greatest web developer of all time. or laziest. maybe they're the same thing. idk
challenged accepted adam
this will be interesting. i'll try to participate tho i'm not very used to it yet.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
josuah
Long time nixers

I'm just using what others wrote :P

I think I will have to cheat: I need to edit spreadsheet document. But maybe I can still use this, so that I can run X org without running X org.

But this is at least very close to cheating.
f1st
Members
So, guys, is TTY week starts 26th June this year too?
venam
Administrators
(18-06-2016, 12:11 AM)f1st Wrote: So, guys, is TTY week starts 26th June this year too?

No, 21th June, if you want to follow the schedule that is.
But you don't have to, you can start before or after.
lemons
Members
This sounds like a really interesting idea, I'm keen to take part!

I'm overdue with some writing, does anyone have tips for viewing pdf? If not, I will likely just have to live without compiling my LaTeX doc for a few days. Should be fun!
venam
Administrators
(18-06-2016, 02:32 PM)lemons Wrote: I'm overdue with some writing, does anyone have tips for viewing pdf?

Sure: "fbgs Poor man's PostScript/pdf viewer for the linux framebuffer console".

Maybe it would be a good idea for anyone that haven't done that before to go back and read everything in this thread.
It might also be another cool project to write documentation/process about doing a week in the TTY.
lemons
Members
(19-06-2016, 03:42 AM)venam Wrote: Sure: "fbgs Poor man's PostScript/pdf viewer for the linux framebuffer console".

Maybe it would be a good idea for anyone that haven't done that before to go back and read everything in this thread.
It might also be another cool project to write documentation/process about doing a week in the TTY.

Ah! Not sure how I missed that!

I setup a fresh net install of Debian on my old netbook to give me a couple of days to get up to speed with the TTY before we kick off. dvtm is neat!