acg
personally i use markdown and google docs when it comes to university stuff where compatibility is a must.

don't even leave markdown for my blog since i use jekyll and it parses the md directly to serve it as html.
crypto
+1 For LaTeX for math and scientific papers. I even had a course in university where every assignment had to be handed in, in LaTeX. If I remember correctly, it was theory of computation.
sagittarius
It's been few days I'm focusing on word processing. I have few letters to write (& loooooooot of notes to take) and I was looking for something as CLIsh as possible. Is found this guy's channel, with a ve-ry good video for noobs like me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh_WGWii7UE

So I decided to go further and looked for an automated way to generate fancy documents. Now I use dirty handmade makefiles and latex template, working in pair with pandoc in order to get a PDF output. Pretty nice. I you guyz have strong experience regarding this kind of method, I'll be happy to know more !
jkl
On Windows it's quite easy to find a really great word processing software (WordPerfect to the rescue); but, indeed, on other systems it's hard to find one that doesn't crash 25743 times a day.

I started using Emacs + LaTeX when preparing my thesis quite a while ago, I haven't written a non-LaTeX letter since then. Sadly, at work I have to use Word. Well, jobs don't have to be fun, I presume.

It's interesting to see how irrelevant word processing has been made by digital communication possibilities.
z3bra
(17-05-2016, 06:23 PM)jkl Wrote: jobs don't have to be fun, I presume.

Your job is the activity that take up the most of your time in a week. If you can, you should find a job you enjoy.
sagittarius
You know, tools may be not as enjoyable as your job, unfortunately.
jkl
I noticed that I can't stand doing things I like for money. I lose interest in it easily.
Example: I was a hobby web developer until I was hired as a PHP dev. After coming home, I didn't want to touch anything regarding web development anymore because I didn't like it anymore.

Weird me.
venam
(18-05-2016, 05:41 AM)jkl Wrote: I noticed that I can't stand doing things I like for money. I lose interest in it easily.
Example: I was a hobby web developer until I was hired as a PHP dev. After coming home, I didn't want to touch anything regarding web development anymore because I didn't like it anymore.

Weird me.

Maybe you should focus less on the "technology" and more on the ideas and projects.
jkl
The technology is, unfortunately, the most interesting thing with being a developer. That's one of the reasons why I try to learn a new language for every new project.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode