Your Latest Workflow Improvement - Desktop Customization & Workflow
venam
My latest, not so new, workflow improvement is to use `at` as a notification timer.
When I have to do something after X time or at X time I just fire up `at` with notify-send and/or some sound.

It's pretty neat, light, and simple.
z3bra
I recently switched from tmux to dvtm.
It doesnt sound like much, but the fact it auto arrange stuff is great to force you tidy your things, istead of spending time making mosaics.
grah
My latest workflow improvement is a simple one and is probably something that everyone is already aware of: using Ctrl-Backspace or Ctrl-Del to delete a whole word instead of just using Backspace or Delete. Works in most graphical applications.

(27-02-2019, 11:40 AM)z3bra Wrote: I recently switched from tmux to dvtm.
It doesnt sound like much, but the fact it auto arrange stuff is great to force you tidy your things, istead of spending time making mosaics.

Wow thanks for posting this, dvtm is perfect! I've now dropped tmux and screen and use it along with dtach.
Igrom
Today's workflow improvement is a result of automating a recent piece of work outlined in https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=2253.

Code:
# trim video
function vtrim () {
  ffplay -vf "drawtext=text='%{pts\:hms}':box=1:x=(w-tw)/2:y=h-(2*lh)" "$1"
  while :
  do
    read
    ffmpeg -i "$1" -ss 00:00:$REPLY short-"$1"
    ffplay short-"$1"
  done
}

# record video
function vrecord () {
  ffmpeg -video_size $(xrandr | grep -P '(?<=current )[^,]+' -o | tr -d ' ') -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0 full.mp4
  vtrim full.mp4
}

The code records my screen. Once the recording is stopped, the video plays back with a rectangular overlay with the frame timestamp. Once I scroll to the beginning of the video's actual content, I memorize the timestamp, ^C and subsequently enter the seconds and microseconds in the terminal to trim the video. I confirm visually that it was done okay, otherwise I ^C to tweak the trim.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode