OpenBSD Native Hypervisor - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
apk
Long time nixers
Afternoon nixers,

was on lobsters today when I saw this.

I'm not intelligent enough to understand the number applications this software has, but I can kind of guess it to be intriguing. Almost unorthodox given OpenBSD's way of doing things. Nevertheless, I think OpenBSD's secure and consistent platform should bode well with virtualization software.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
One for the big boys' hosting servers.
(Not something a 'common user' such as myself would use.)
movq
Long time nixers
I was pretty surprised when I read this. This is going to be interesting. :)
apk
Long time nixers
(01-09-2015, 05:43 AM)bsdkeith Wrote: One for the big boys' hosting servers.
(Not something a 'common user' such as myself would use.)

Ah I see, I couldn't speculate that given what the developer said on the mailing list. That must mean its not so much of a QEMU/Virtualbox solution. Still, I hope VPS hosting companies such as DigitalOcean take advantage of these features. The more I can use OpenBSD in my environment and in my workflow, the happier I will be :)
dtnt
Members
I was actually surprised, given that Theo himself has been opposing virtualization ever since I can remember. I was even more surprised that the foundation funded these developments. Great to see, even though I'm rather certain that it won't do much in terms of increasing OpenBSD market share.

Quote:Ah I see, I couldn't speculate that given what the developer said on the mailing list. That must mean its not so much of a QEMU/Virtualbox solution. Still, I hope VPS hosting companies such as DigitalOcean take advantage of these features. The more I can use OpenBSD in my environment and in my workflow, the happier I will be :)

DigitalOcean uses KVM with predefined images, they don't support - not even unofficially - custom images, and I'm not even talking about OpenBSD. It took years of work to make them support FreeBSD. If you want to use OpenBSD on a VPS take a look at Vultr or basically any KVM-based hoster that allows custom images. (Yes, I really dislike DO.)
apk
Long time nixers
(02-09-2015, 07:40 AM)dtnt Wrote: DigitalOcean uses KVM with predefined images, they don't support - not even unofficially - custom images, and I'm not even talking about OpenBSD. It took years of work to make them support FreeBSD. If you want to use OpenBSD on a VPS take a look at Vultr or basically any KVM-based hoster that allows custom images. (Yes, I really dislike DO.)

Thanks for tellin me about Vultr, dot|not. I didn't know they existed. I may look at them more seriously in the future, but I'll probably just stick with DO for the time being since I'm used to them and I have a lot of stuff hosted on their VPS service. Or maybe down the road they'll get their shit together and support OpenBSD idk man these companies are weird.
awesome news!
dtnt
Members
Quote:Or maybe down the road they'll get their shit together and support OpenBSD idk man these companies are weird.

They won't, at least judging by their previous behavior. FreeBSD and IPv6 (I mean, what the fuck? Each holiday-hoster offers IPv6, but a venture capital funded project can't .. seriously?) were the two top-voted points on their wishlist, and it took them - in both cases - several years to finally implement it. Well, at least somewhat. My IPv6 traffic still gets routed through the United States, or even Australia, on a regular base, with the server being located in the Netherlands and the target being located in Germany. /thread-hijacking
josuah
Long time nixers
5 years later, you can order you OpenBSD VMs running vmm(4)/vmd(8) on https://openbsd.amsterdam !
apk
Long time nixers
oh thats pretty cool
wolf
Members
Well, I was trying to run Windows on it a few months ago as a PoC by nesting virtualization with Alpine (KVM). One of these days I'll resume this masochistic adventure...