Musl Distros - GNU/Linux
Houseoftea
Packlad is another package manager that the guy made, but that ones written in all c
And spuk was interesting ;)
xikuuky
(29-12-2015, 10:55 AM)Houseoftea Wrote: Init (Runit or OpenRC) :: runit
Minimal Core Utils (Busybox or Toybox) :: toybox
?Package Manager? :: packlim
(29-12-2015, 01:48 PM)z3bra Wrote: For the core utils, you neither busybox nor toybox are POSIX compliant, making them poor alternatives to coreutils which is POSIX-compliant (but adds a shiton of useless/bloated features on top of their utils, making them unreliable and bug-prone).
There is the suckless base which is fairly good and POSIX-compliant. They also provide a way to build a sbase-box binary if that's what you really want.
Runit for sure then. I have installed sbase on my own system and I like it. sbase plus ubase seems to be more complete of a full coreutils though. I couldn't get packlim to install. So update this is now:

Init: Runit
Minimal Core Utils: sbase
?Package Manager?: Still none. Maybe Butch

Could Pacman be a good package manager? Or would Crux or Gentoo's be better? :)
Also, checkout Sabotage Linux. Similair to what we/I are making. I'm pretty sure we could change it to fit our needs. It is a very small system. :)
z3bra
As I just discussed on IRC, I'm not making a distro for a community, or to fit people's needs. It's mostly for fun, and have something I built with my own hands.
Alone, I can't write a better package manager than pacman, apt or yum, I can't make an init system that will put systemd to shame, or a daemon manager as good as daemontools...

But I can make these softs. Make mine, and put them together to build a distro I can call my own. That's my goal. And I'll certainly fail at some point, just so I'll be able to do it again later :P
xikuuky
(29-12-2015, 03:03 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: Packlad is another package manager that the guy made, but that ones written in all c
And spuk was interesting ;)
I will look into those. I didn't see those last night.
(29-12-2015, 05:11 PM)z3bra Wrote: As I just discussed on IRC, I'm not making a distro for a community, or to fit people's needs. It's mostly for fun, and have something I built with my own hands.
Alone, I can't write a better package manager than pacman, apt or yum, I can't make an init system that will put systemd to shame, or a daemon manager as good as daemontools...

But I can make these softs. Make mine, and put them together to build a distro I can call my own. That's my goal. And I'll certainly fail at some point, just so I'll be able to do it again later :P
I think I'll make my distro just for me too then (anyone can look at it, install it, fork it, whatever) that way I can make the perfect system I want to use! :)

UPDATE
=======
I think the base for everything will be Sabotage Linux. I can easily write a package that would install my system into theirs. That makes life easy. :)
xikuuky
UPDATE
======
Stali is very similair and fits my needs. I may continue this as a hobby but for a more working distro please use Stali.
z3bra
For what its worth, I finally have a working package manager! It's dead simple, not finished and certainly has bugs, but it can install, list and remove packages!

http://git.z3bra.org/cgit.cgi/pm
Houseoftea
(30-12-2015, 09:13 PM)z3bra Wrote: For what its worth, I finally have a working package manager! It's dead simple, not finished and certainly has bugs, but it can install, list and remove packages!

http://git.z3bra.org/cgit.cgi/pm

hey z3bra I was playing around a little with pm and I couldnt get it working exactly.
I installed it, and pm -i (pack) works fine but pm -a pack:(pack) does not work at all.
am I doing something dumb?
z3bra
You can only install packages built locally. Said otherwise, tarballs. For example, run the following:

Code:
make
make DESTDIR=rootfs install
(cd rootfs; tar cz * > ../pm:0.1.tar.bz2)
pm -i pm\:0.1.tar.bz2
pm -a pm\:0.1.tar.bz2
pm -i

That will install the pack "pm" to the PACKAGE_ROOT specified in the source (this directory should already exist)
z3bra
I made some progress on my distro!
Here is everything I can do:

* build packs statically against musl (including pcc and binutils)
* sync packs from a remote repo into a local directory
* install packs in a chroot
* compile a "hello world!" with pcc from within the chroot

Here is a proof: http://raw.z3bra.org/dev/random/distro.webm

For the upcoming steps:

* fix bugs in the pack manager
* boot AGAIN an LXC container / on real hardware
* build packs from within the distro
* enjoy!
apk
(07-01-2016, 08:28 PM)z3bra Wrote: Here is a proof: http://raw.z3bra.org/dev/random/distro.webm

highly impressed, z3bra. im under the impression pm has no way of showing package updates, though?
Of course, a package manager that works with tarballs, thats extremely difficult if not impossible to do.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help