Tips for installing Crux - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
tudurom
Long time nixers
Hey There,

I want to move from arch because of systemd and because I want to put myself in great pain so at the end I will feel good because there will be no pain (i.e, making the system simpler). But, I need help to install crux the right way.

Here's what I have done in a VM:
  • Installed the base system by following the handbook
  • Configured the ports system to build packages using another user
  • Currently doing a sysup.

I want a simple and stable setup, able to run bspwm and some browser.

Oh, and a simple question: if I want to replace the default rc script, I just need to overwrite it with another (minirc), right?

Thank you! Waiting for the tips!
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Um, what's the point of this thread? Sounds like you're already there.
apk
Long time nixers
(25-02-2016, 07:11 PM)neo Wrote: Oh, and a simple question: if I want to replace the default rc script, I just need to overwrite it with another (minirc), right?

no that varies with init to init. by default crux uses sysv init, which is just a collection of many shell scripts that do specific tasks (including daemon scripts). so, you'll need to resort to documentation for that.

so really you just gotta do like
Code:
prt-get depinst bspwm
prt-get depinst $BROWSER
and then ur good i guess. be sure to
Code:
ports -u
prt-get sysup
periodically.
tudurom
Long time nixers
Thanks! No downsides? I find the documentation sparse.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
TIL Crux Linux is against systemd

more like Sux Linux amirite

© KeDEAN'd corp
apk
Long time nixers
(26-02-2016, 12:51 PM)neeasade Wrote: TIL Crux Linux is against systemd

more like Sux Linux amirite

© KeDEAN'd corp
yeah got like 2 weeks left bro.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
(26-02-2016, 03:16 PM)dsplayer14 Wrote: .
u ok
arcetera
Members
(25-02-2016, 07:11 PM)neo Wrote: Hey There,

I want to move from arch because of systemd and because I want to put myself in great pain so at the end I will feel good because there will be no pain (i.e, making the system simpler). But, I need help to install crux the right way.

Here's what I have done in a VM:

[*] Installed the base system by following the handbook
[*] Configured the ports system to build packages using another user
[*] Currently doing a sysup.

I want a simple and stable setup, able to run bspwm and some browser.

Oh, and a simple question: if I want to replace the default rc script, I just need to overwrite it with another (minirc), right?

Thank you! Waiting for the tips!
I highly recommend using another rc script. I'm using sinit and my own. CRUX rc is a pain in the ass sometimes.

minirc uses busybox init, so you'll have to remove sysvinit and install busybox and minirc (all available in 6c37). bspwm is also available in 6c37.
tudurom
Long time nixers
I installed 6c37 and 6c37-git and this is a real goldmine! BTW what's the difference beetween your rc and minirc?
arcetera
Members
my rc uses sinit and has a few changes in terms of coding style, as well as features which i deemed useful
tudurom
Long time nixers
Pros and cons?

Btw Yours looks cleaner.
apk
Long time nixers
(26-02-2016, 05:07 PM)neeasade Wrote: u ok
yea but i n 2WEEK u shall face the wrath of PRT-Get
arcetera
Members
(27-02-2016, 04:16 PM)neo Wrote: Pros and cons?

Btw Yours looks cleaner.
pros: uses sinit, simpler than busybox, (experimental) smdev support, saner flags, keyboard layouts, out of the box support for most other things

cons: uses a lot of my own preferences, not as thoroughly tested as minirc or maybe even god, i only test on crux

if you're looking for 'tried and tested' try minirc, if you're looking for a little bit more sanity try mine
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
crux has its fair share of downsides, and you should consider them.

* 100% source based
* light dependency handling (eg, you can't uninstall dependencie)
* small port base, meaning you'll have to port many softs by yourself
* sparse documentation
* system V init

Don't worry, there are good points too:

* simple package format
* easily swappable component (eg, init, device manager, ...)
* knowledgeable user base

Its simplicity is its best feature!
tudurom
Long time nixers
Does prt-get have a feature to uninstall dependencies?
arcetera
Members
(28-02-2016, 08:17 AM)neo Wrote: Does prt-get have a feature to uninstall dependencies?
no, and that's something which i dislike
tudurom
Long time nixers
Then let's make an uninstall script. I think it's pretty easy: make a local database, use it to determine which programs cand be removed, problem solved.

Found this: http://osdir.com/ml/linux.distributions....00094.html
<p><br></p>
p3p1
Members
I'm trying to switch from Arch to Crux but I have problem related to Grub-UEFI. My actual configuration provides two partition (sda1,sda2) the first one is EFI partion formatted in fat32, the second one is LUKS+LVM(swap+root-btrfs). Typically in Arch before give grub-mkconfig, I wrote my configuration in /etc/default/grub (an example is attached) but now in Crux seem that this conf file isn't considered and the finally Grub not start right.

/etc/default/grub: http://pastebin.com/59h7ZgWB
apk
Long time nixers
the grub config should be placed in /boot/grub/grub.cfg or $esp/grub/grub.cfg (relative to your EFI System Partition location).

Also I find there is no need to use grub-mkconfig in crux, just write the config by hand. Here is mine and it works just fine. http://ix.io/q0y
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
(08-03-2016, 04:43 PM)dsplayer14 Wrote: Here is mine and it works just fine. http://ix.io/q0y
bl0at
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Write your own grub.cfg file. Don't use grub-mkconfig, it's bound to get it wrong.
tudurom
Long time nixers
(08-03-2016, 01:53 PM)p3p1 Wrote: I'm trying to switch from Arch to Crux but I have problem related to Grub-UEFI. My actual configuration provides two partition (sda1,sda2) the first one is EFI partion formatted in fat32, the second one is LUKS+LVM(swap+root-btrfs). Typically in Arch before give grub-mkconfig, I wrote my configuration in /etc/default/grub (an example is attached) but now in Crux seem that this conf file isn't considered and the finally Grub not start right.

/etc/default/grub: http://pastebin.com/59h7ZgWB

you may want to take a look at EFISTUB, but that implies recompiling the kernel.
p3p1
Members
do you have some guide about the implementation of EFISTUB?
tudurom
Long time nixers
<p><br></p>
novice
Registered
Hello,
I want to learn crux
I tried to install crux several times and every time i get this message on boot "mount: /etc/fstab: parse error: ignore entry at line 7,8,12,20,22" ,"swapon: /etc/fstab: parse error: ignore entry at line 7,8,12,20,22"
also when i startx it starts wm with error "xauth serverauth.xxx does not exist" ,i have .serverauth.195 and .Xauthority in my home.Can someone help me and sorry for my english.
novice
Registered
Well I learned a lot and now I have a fully working crux and all errors solved :)
I love it its hard yet simple.