IRC - Community & Forums Related Discussions
Nihility
who can invite me to irc, nick is jjan
z3bra
(22-11-2017, 06:41 AM)Nihility Wrote: who can invite me to irc, nick is jjan

Hello jjan, do you want to join IRC channel #unix @unix.chat ?
Nihility
@z3bra yes #unix, it says you need an invite or am i missing something out
z3bra
Ah, I guess I'm just too old then. Back in my days this chan was begging people to join
Anyhow, tried to invite you but you're not connected, so..
Nihility
i'm online now

i've been here since 2012 (unixhub days) but i'm just a lurker because my english is not that good
budRich
>> *nix users needing invites to networks ;)
fraun
Any idea why I'm banned? nick = fraun
fraun
Hi again, any luck unbanning me?
josuah
I had trouble for connecting with a client that does not handle TLS (like ii, sic, ...), and I found a solution! :)

I use an inetd stream entry which for piping the command-line TLS client* and a local TCP socket for your client to connect to. You can even have a Proxy machine which does the translation!

* openssl s_client, nc -ssl, brssl client... now you have the choice of your backend! :D Pipes are universal.

# vi /etc/services
Code:
irc-freenode    6970/tcp
irc-unix        6971/tcp
irc-other       6972/tcp

# vi /etc/inetd.conf
Code:
irc-freenode  stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.freenode.net:6697
irc-unix      stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect unix.chat:6697
irc-other     stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.other.networks:6697

And then start the inetd service, the inetd daemon... however you distro or you wants it... If it already runs, you can probably reload its configuration with:
# pkill -HUP inetd

You can pretty much use xinetd for this, the command itox translates the inetd format to xinetd format:
# itox < inetd.conf
Code:
service irc-unix
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = nobody
        server          = /usr/bin/openssl
        server_args     = s_client -connect unix.chat:6697
}
z3bra
nice one Josuah! Taking the best from unix IPC ;)

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode