Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
josuah
Long time nixers
(12-01-2017, 10:25 AM)z3bra Wrote: You can also use stunnel if you don't feel like patching.

It works great!

Code:
$ cat << EOF > config
[unix.chat]
accept = 127.0.0.1:6667
connect = unix.chat:6697
EOF
$ stunnel config
$ sic -h 127.0.0.1 -p 6667

Et voià!
robotchaos
Long time nixers
what is the nick max character limit?
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
If I remember correctly it's 8

Edit- spelling

I could do with a shot of rum right now.
robotchaos
Long time nixers
damn it, off by 1
fro
Members
it's 9.

also i think i fixed apk's problem with drinking and irc.
robotchaos
Long time nixers
yeah, so looks like i will just stick with rchaos on the forums
xcko
Members
Looks like the unix.chat ssl cert has expired:
verify error:num=10:certificate has expired
notAfter=Jun 14 11:25:00 2017 GMT
hubcaps
Members
SSL cert appears to have expired again.

edit: actually seems to work on unix.chat by itself, the others list the cert fails to verify.
xero
Long time nixers
hubcaps
Members
unix.chat is now failing as well.
perrierjouet
Registered
bonjour

Je ne peux me connecter a nixers, j'ai connection refused
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
C'est un forum anglophone, pour info :)

Ensure that you're connecting via SSL on port 6697. The service is not accessible without SSL.
Nihility
Members
who can invite me to irc, nick is jjan
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(22-11-2017, 06:41 AM)Nihility Wrote: who can invite me to irc, nick is jjan

Hello jjan, do you want to join IRC channel #unix @unix.chat ?
Nihility
Members
@z3bra yes #unix, it says you need an invite or am i missing something out
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Ah, I guess I'm just too old then. Back in my days this chan was begging people to join
Anyhow, tried to invite you but you're not connected, so..
Nihility
Members
i'm online now

i've been here since 2012 (unixhub days) but i'm just a lurker because my english is not that good
budRich
Long time nixers
>> *nix users needing invites to networks ;)
fraun
Members
Any idea why I'm banned? nick = fraun
fraun
Members
Hi again, any luck unbanning me?
josuah
Long time nixers
I had trouble for connecting with a client that does not handle TLS (like ii, sic, ...), and I found a solution! :)

I use an inetd stream entry which for piping the command-line TLS client* and a local TCP socket for your client to connect to. You can even have a Proxy machine which does the translation!

* openssl s_client, nc -ssl, brssl client... now you have the choice of your backend! :D Pipes are universal.

# vi /etc/services
Code:
irc-freenode    6970/tcp
irc-unix        6971/tcp
irc-other       6972/tcp

# vi /etc/inetd.conf
Code:
irc-freenode  stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.freenode.net:6697
irc-unix      stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect unix.chat:6697
irc-other     stream  tcp  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl   openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.other.networks:6697

And then start the inetd service, the inetd daemon... however you distro or you wants it... If it already runs, you can probably reload its configuration with:
# pkill -HUP inetd

You can pretty much use xinetd for this, the command itox translates the inetd format to xinetd format:
# itox < inetd.conf
Code:
service irc-unix
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = nobody
        server          = /usr/bin/openssl
        server_args     = s_client -connect unix.chat:6697
}
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
nice one Josuah! Taking the best from unix IPC ;)
josuah
Long time nixers
Thank you z3bra!

For the ii client, it is possible to use UNIX sockets instead of TCP sockets:

# vi /etc/inetd.conf
Code:
/tmp/irc.freenode.net  stream  unix  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl  openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.freenode.net:6697
/tmp/unix.chat         stream  unix  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl  openssl s_client -quiet -connect unix.chat:6697
/tmp/other...          stream  unix  nowait  nobody  /usr/bin/openssl  openssl s_client -quiet -connect irc.other.networks:6697

# ii -s unix.chat -u /tmp/unix.chat

And then you have ~/irc/unix.chat and not ~/irc/127.0.0.1. :)
Dog
Registered
I have to turn off verification for this server to connect. I'm getting this in weechat:

Code:
│13:49:42 | unix.chat =!= | gnutls: the hostname in the certificate does NOT match "irc.unix.chat"
│13:49:42 | unix.chat  -- | gnutls: peer's certificate is trusted
│13:49:42 | unix.chat =!= | irc: TLS handshake failed
│13:49:42 | unix.chat =!= | irc: error: Error in the certificate.

For anyone that runs into this, you can turn off verification with:

Code:
/set irc.server.<identifier>.ssl_verify off
venam
Administrators
There has been some changes in the IRC space. We now have an official IRC channel on freenode, #nixers_net (Yes, #nixers was taken).

Be sure to update your IRC clients to point to this new home of ours.
The nixers philosophy, rules, and mentality apply there. All in good faith, I hope you prefer this change.
jkl
Long time nixers
Is it because of the TLS issues?

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(27-05-2020, 02:17 AM)jkl Wrote: Is it because of the TLS issues?

The previous IRC, not hosted by nixers, was supposed to be temporary until we could host its own, that lead to some unfortunate behavior that doesn't reflect the community. You're welcomed to join anytime.
fro
Members
Why freenode instead of efnet? #nixers is not taken there.

I think the change is a solid idea btw.
venam
Administrators
(27-05-2020, 02:37 AM)fro Wrote: Why freenode instead of efnet? #nixers is not taken there.

No particular reason other than that I forgot about efnet. In all honesty, I'm not sure it really matters where we host it or whether we're using #nixers_net instead of #nixers, as long as people can find us there should be no issue.
fro
Members
(27-05-2020, 02:52 AM)venam Wrote:
(27-05-2020, 02:37 AM)fro Wrote: Why freenode instead of efnet? #nixers is not taken there.

No particular reason other than that I forgot about efnet. In all honesty, I'm not sure it really matters where we host it or whether we're using #nixers_net instead of #nixers, as long as people can find us there should be no issue.
Yeah no worries. I was just curious because I think you're already connected to efnet.