Browsers, your windows to the WWW - The WWW

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kirby
Long time nixers
(24-05-2016, 02:00 AM)Dworin Wrote: Kirby: doesn't Debian supply security fixes? I thought the difficulty of backporting to really old versions was their reason for switching to the latest LTS version. But I've been gone from Debian for some time. Anyway, Iceweasel is rebranded Firefox so I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by such a switch.

So a really quick primer on the Debian release system. There are three branches, stable, testing and unstable. New packages get uploaded to unstable, then if about a week goes by with no major bugs it moves into testing. Evetually testing gets 'frozen' and no new packages can move over. They then fix all the major bugs and release that as the new stable. A new stable release is every 2 years or so (sorry if you already knew this).

Packages in stable never receive any updates except security ones. The Firefox in testing / unstable is something like version 45. It also lost the Iceweasel branding and is now just Firefox. What I was getting at above is that I keep hold of the Iceweasel currently in stable indefinitely, which is locked in at Firefox 38. While this is fine for now eventually a new stable will come out with the new Firefox, and by that point I'm not sure if they'll send out security patches for a 2-year old release. Even if they did I'd probably have to install them manually.

The obvious solution here is to just drop Firefox completely, but I've never found anything that satisfies me. Newer browsers are too 'modern' (menus in the sides, tacky animations, etc.), and other ones are too minimalistic and slow.

Messages In This Thread
Browsers, your windows to the WWW - by venam - 23-05-2016, 01:45 AM
RE: Browsers, your windows to the internet - by kirby - 24-05-2016, 12:03 PM
RE: Browsers, your windows to the WWW - by venam - 07-08-2016, 05:01 AM
RE: Browsers, your windows to the WWW - by swathe - 07-08-2016, 10:33 PM
RE: Browsers, your windows to the WWW - by citrus - 18-08-2016, 02:08 AM
RE: Browsers, your windows to the WWW - by venam - 19-08-2016, 12:46 AM