Why are we here now - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
henriqueleng
Members
I started some years ago, around 2013 or 2012. The first time I saw linux was when I bought my first personal computer, It came with linux, so I stayed with it for some days until I wiped it out and installed windows XP.
Then someday when I was trying to install windows 7 I just messed my hard drive. So looking for a temporary solution, I installed ubuntu, just to use until I could get another windows media. And wow, the first thing that amazed me was the it was all free, with no license headaches and it was fast (my computer was running way faster than my XP). So I just felt in love with it (I hadn't touched the command line yet, and was already loving it), that time I didn't know to program yet.
Some months with ubuntu was enough to make me try other things, so I moved to Debian, Fedora... I was really having fun on changing my OS each month. Then went deep and installed Arch Linux, thinking that I would never move from it. After some time on Arch, I got really attracted by the gentoo way of compiling everything optimizing it. So then I used gentoo for a long time, almost a year.
My last gentoo days started when I started to read on why GNU software sucks, how linux is bloated, glib and so on. So I just thought, I must get rid of it. In this time I thought about building my own distro, statically compiled with musl, but I just found someone doing it, I moved to (sabotage-linux)[https://github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage], on sabotage I saw real minimalist, this was the tiniest system I ever had, and one of the most suckless linux distro I ever saw. But sabotage didn't had too much developers, and I was basically needing to create packages for every software I wanted to use, and this was consuming all my time.

So I moved to OpenBSD, in a attempt to get a good OS, without GNU crap, and with good support. With OpenBSD I got the best of both worlds, sanity and software quality plus a bunch of packages already made and well tested.
And that's what I"m using now. I see no more fun on change my OS every week, I just want something to work and that don't break, and at the same time that is sane and worth to develop on.

Messages In This Thread
Why are we here now - by venam - 23-05-2016, 01:49 AM
RE: Why are we here now - by pranomostro - 28-05-2016, 10:15 AM
RE: Why are we here now - by swathe - 29-05-2016, 11:03 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by t60 - 30-05-2016, 04:16 AM
RE: Why are we here now - by pranomostro - 30-05-2016, 05:45 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by henriqueleng - 30-05-2016, 07:27 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by pranomostro - 30-05-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by venam - 26-07-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by mrmister - 26-07-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by jkl - 26-07-2016, 06:11 PM
RE: Why are we here now - by acg - 26-07-2016, 08:06 PM