Hacking video contest [finished] - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
[Image: hacking_vid_contest.png]

COMPILATION AVAILABLE! Mirrors:
Musics: Searching / Come and find me by Eric Stiff

Hey there!

I know most of you enjoy contests, so I came up with a new idea.
Last year, we made the "nixers workflow compilation", which everybody enjoyed.

This year, I would like to make a more "funny" one, by having everyone record a fake hacking screencast!

Beware, nothing amongst those line: h4x0r.webm. The screencast should last ~1 minute and illustrate what YOU think a hacker's desktop would look like. It would start from an empty desktop, then open a bunch of windows and perform some fake (or real, your choice ;)) action to infiltrate or exploit some random host. Be creative! Don't mimic those bullshit desktop of teenagers hacking the FBI, running "tree" in cmd.exe.

We'll take 3 weeks to let everyone the time to record, then I'll make a compilation, similar to the first one. Here are the rules (these are subject to discussion, of course):
  • Maximum 2 minutes
  • Format: WEBM videos encoded in VP8, no sound
  • Should look like you're doing some deep unix magic (hacking)
  • Should NOT look like an obviously fake and lame hacking scene
  • Submissions are accepted until the 7th of August, at 23:59 UTC

Do you think it's better to keep the secret until the compil' is out, or have all users post their submissions when they're ready?

Who's in?!

EDIT:
  • z3bra - OK
  • venam - OK
  • strang3quark - OK
  • fraun
  • thlst
  • adrift - OK
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
venam
Administrators
Interesting idea, I'm in.

"Unix is a hacking OS" - and the non-Unix users think the term hacking is used in the same way the sensational media use it.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Here is the command I use for recording, for anyone interrested:

Code:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1440x900 -an -i :0.0 -c:v libvpx -b:v 5M -crf 10 -quality realtime cast.webm
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Nobody interrested except from venam? Come on people!
venam
Administrators
This may sound a bit hypocritical but maybe we should start considering extending the reach of the nixers.net community activities by "advertising" them.

I'm not sure how this would be done without compromising the quality or "branding" of the community.
However, it would be nice to see how this develops.

This is still a new idea, maybe we could start with a sort of button that we could add to our website.
Sorta' like the "fork me" button or the internet defense league button.
Sort of like:
https://github.com/blog/273-github-ribbons
http://tholman.com/github-corners/
Maybe we can also tag our screenshots with watermarks.

This is just a concept in my mind but it would be cool when others see anything that comes out of here and think, "Those people are all working on great stuffs in this community".

This, however, will not increase participation. What will increase participation are incentives.
For those who watched my podcast on webcasts you would know what my surprise was, and it's still mostly valid if you still want it.
fraun
Members
I'm very interested and although I didn't take part in the workflow compilation I really enjoyed watching them. I don't participate in the forum much, but I love reading what others have to say, maybe when I've finished writing up my PhD I'll get around to contributing much more.

I just wanted to express my gratitude for the work you guys put in.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(22-07-2016, 06:48 AM)fraun Wrote: I just wanted to express my gratitude for the work you guys put in.

the best way to do that is to join in!

(22-07-2016, 02:18 AM)venam Wrote: This may sound a bit hypocritical but maybe we should start considering extending the reach of the nixers.net community activities by "advertising" them.

I'm not sure how this would be done without compromising the quality or "branding" of the community.
However, it would be nice to see how this develops.

This might be great! But I think we need "finished products" to advertise, instead of advertising currently on-going projects.

(22-07-2016, 02:18 AM)venam Wrote: This is still a new idea, maybe we could start with a sort of button that we could add to our website.
Sorta' like the "fork me" button or the internet defense league button.
Sort of like:
https://github.com/blog/273-github-ribbons
http://tholman.com/github-corners/
Maybe we can also tag our screenshots with watermarks.

I don't like watermarks. I'm much more favorable for a recognisable icon, for example, the star this forums uses as a favicon.
This brings us back to the "mascot" thread.

(22-07-2016, 02:18 AM)venam Wrote: This is just a concept in my mind but it would be cool when others see anything that comes out of here and think, "Those people are all working on great stuffs in this community".

This, however, will not increase participation. What will increase participation are incentives.
For those who watched my podcast on webcasts you would know what my surprise was, and it's still mostly valid if you still want it.

Maybe a simple page where we would show off our projects? podcasts, compilations, programs, ...
venam
Administrators
(22-07-2016, 08:36 AM)z3bra Wrote: This might be great! But I think we need "finished products" to advertise, instead of advertising currently on-going projects.
I wasn't thinking of projects, it was more about the activities we do.
strang3quark
Members
That seems like fun, I'm in!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
So far, we are only 3 ?
fraun
Members
I'm going to have a go as well
thlst
Members
I think I'm in? I have yet to conclude some of my projects here, so I can record something neat.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
At least we have now enough participants to make something fun (though more people would mean even more fun!).

So what do you guys think? Shall we release everyone's cast before the final compilation or not?
xero
Long time nixers
(26-07-2016, 12:07 PM)z3bra Wrote: So what do you guys think? Shall we release everyone's cast before the final compilation or not?

i vote yes. i say we post them as we go then make the compilation after like the first workflow one.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
The thing that "scares" me is that people will take inspiration from each others, resulting in semi-original content. What do you think?
venam
Administrators
(26-07-2016, 06:31 PM)z3bra Wrote: The thing that "scares" me is that people will take inspiration from each others, resulting in semi-original content. What do you think?
I do agree with that. It's the first time we do something like that, let it be constraint free and completely new.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Well, we did the workflow compilation already, and each submission was posted on-the-go. This was great as it was entertaining and pushed the thread forward, motivating more users after each new submission. But the cast was well defined, as in, all the tasks were written down and all...

I do think that we should try to keep everything secret until the video is released. If everyone is ok with that, I'll update my original post to have people PM me their video.
Adrift
Members
(22-07-2016, 02:18 AM)venam Wrote: This may sound a bit hypocritical but maybe we should start considering extending the reach of the nixers.net community activities by "advertising" them.

Honestly I've wanted to participate in stuff here and there, despite lurking for so long. For me, it's always bad timing when I find out about it. Plus I feel ill-equipped compared to most. I am interested in viewing this, as I am in most things on here.
stark
Members
I'm in ! ( I will post it after 5th of August ).
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(28-07-2016, 12:17 AM)Adrift Wrote: For me, it's always bad timing when I find out about it

You still have 2 weeks to record something. For now, only venam submitted his screencast. So you're perfectly on-time, stop using lames excuses and record something!
fraun
Members
(28-07-2016, 12:17 AM)Adrift Wrote: Honestly I've wanted to participate in stuff here and there, despite lurking for so long. For me, it's always bad timing when I find out about it. Plus I feel ill-equipped compared to most. I am interested in viewing this, as I am in most things on here.

You really can't be anymore ill-equipped than I am, give it a go, I doubt anybody will mock you for it.
venam
Administrators
(28-07-2016, 04:58 AM)fraun Wrote: You really can't be anymore ill-equipped than I am, give it a go, I doubt anybody will mock you for it.
Mocking someone is not in the spirit of these forums.
Any contribution, as small as it could be is greatly appreciated.

Here's the process that I used to create my cast, maybe this can help others:
  • Create a new "hacking theme" for my wm, my terminal, wallpaper, etc..
  • Get a paper and pen
  • Write down the scenario I want to reproduce
  • Write what needs to be set on the machine or faked
  • Set the machine(s) up
  • Record until satisfied
  • Remember that others are going to watch it, the font should be readable, what you do should be comprehensible, and don't use multiple screens, videos are watched in a small size
Adrift
Members
(28-07-2016, 01:27 AM)stark Wrote: You still have 2 weeks to record something. For now, only venam submitted his screencast. So you're perfectly on-time, stop using lames excuses and record something!
Haha, I'll try. Maybe I'll watch some of my old favorites from the 90s to get inspiration.

I should have been more specific. I tried to do the light desktop contest, but by the time I got home from a week long trip to another state, I only had around 4hrs or so, in my defense, I actually did try to put something together for 3hrs. I failed. Miserably. Off the top of my head I couldn't come up with anything I would actually use that didn't blind me.

Edit: @venam, And I will remember that every time I am hesitent to comment/post/participate, etc.
venam
Administrators
Don't forget this compo everyone.
There are still 3 days left to submit your work.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Tomorrow is the last day, and up to this day, only venam submitted a video. Hurry up!
Adrift
Members
EDIT: I have sent it off to z3bra.

Spoiler alert there are many easter eggs.
strang3quark
Members
I've been busy these weeks, I got some free time today to record the video. Where should I submit it?
venam
Administrators
(07-08-2016, 06:44 AM)strang3quark Wrote: I've been busy these weeks, I got some free time today to record the video. Where should I submit it?
Send a pm to z3bra with the link or buzz him on irc.
Adrift
Members
EDIT: link removed.

I hope this was included? I think it's meant for this contest.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
@adrift, I asked no to give links to the videos on the forum. Especially when it's not your own