Poll: ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
C 17 56.67%
Python 7 23.33%
Go 6 20.00%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Learning Go over C and Python - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Hey biwokeg,

welcome to the forums! I started with C, and have more or less sticked with it until now.
I will quote [how to become a hacker](http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html ):

Quote:If you don't know any computer languages, I recommend starting with Python. It is cleanly designed, well documented, and relatively kind to beginners. Despite being a good first language, it is not just a toy; it is very powerful and flexible and well suited for large projects.

I don't I should argue with esr, and I also think that if you are honest about wanting to learn programming, C and maybe also Go will follow. I would not worry too much about the first programming language, since languages are relatively easy to learn after one has understood the basic concepts of programming. I don't think they should be obscured by memory management by hand.

One more source on this is [teach yourself programming in 10 years](http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html ):

Quote:Several people have asked what programming language they should learn first. There is no one answer, but consider these points:

Use your friends. When asked "what operating system should I use, Windows, Unix, or Mac?", my answer is usually: "use whatever your friends use." The advantage you get from learning from your friends will offset any intrinsic difference between OS, or between programming languages. Also consider your future friends: the community of programmers that you will be a part of if you continue. Does your chosen language have a large growing community or a small dying one? Are there books, web sites, and online forums to get answers from? Do you like the people in those forums?
Keep it simple. Programming languages such as C++ and Java are designed for professional development by large teams of experienced programmers who are concerned about the run-time efficiency of their code. As a result, these languages have complicated parts designed for these circumstances. You're concerned with learning to program. You don't need that complication. You want a language that was designed to be easy to learn and remember by a single new programmer.
Play. Which way would you rather learn to play the piano: the normal, interactive way, in which you hear each note as soon as you hit a key, or "batch" mode, in which you only hear the notes after you finish a whole song? Clearly, interactive mode makes learning easier for the piano, and also for programming. Insist on a language with an interactive mode and use it.

Given these criteria, my recommendations for a first programming language would be Python or Scheme. Another choice is Javascript, not because it is perfectly well-designed for beginners, but because there are so many online tutorials for it, such as Khan Academy's tutorial. But your circumstances may vary, and there are other good choices. If your age is a single-digit, you might prefer Alice or Squeak or Blockly (older learners might also enjoy these). The important thing is that you choose and get started.

I hope I could help you with this answer.

Messages In This Thread
Learning Go over C and Python - by biwokeg - 05-12-2016, 08:00 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by pranomostro - 06-12-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by venam - 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by biwokeg - 06-12-2016, 03:58 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by jkl - 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by biwokeg - 06-12-2016, 09:10 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by josuah - 14-12-2016, 09:12 AM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by jkl - 14-12-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by josuah - 14-12-2016, 05:22 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by mrmister - 17-12-2016, 01:06 PM
RE: Learning Go over C and Python - by jkl - 17-12-2016, 01:16 PM