What WM should I use? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
hayden
Members
Hey fellow Nixers! I was using i3, until I decided to switch to GNOME on my laptop. Now, I realize I really don't need a DM, and I would like a new WM to try. I don't have much programming experience. Can anyone recommend a good WM for me?
rocx
Members
cwm. It's kinda extensible, it's pretty keyboard-oriented, and it's also kind of mouse-functional if you find ourself with your hand on the ball or the squeaker. The only con I know if is if you want to have a bar showing which window groups are active, tough luck, kid.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Were you unhappy with i3? What do you like in a WM, what do you dislike?
Should it have mouse-support? How difficult is the configuration language allowed to be?
Which platforms do you need your WM for?
hayden
Members
(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Were you unhappy with i3? What do you like in a WM, what do you dislike?

I wasn't necessarily 'unhappy' with i3, just wanted to try something new.

(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Should it have mouse-support? How difficult is the configuration language allowed to be?

Mouse support would be nice, and the configuration language shouldn't be too hard.

(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Which platform do you need you WM for?

Just Arch Linux.
venam
Administrators
(12-12-2016, 11:31 AM)hayden Wrote: I wasn't necessarily 'unhappy' with i3, just wanted to try something new.
You can check the extensive list found on the arch wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager ).

On a side note, it would be nice to have a questionnaire that would answer "which wm should I choose".
hayden
Members
venam, didn't you create 2bwm?
venam
Administrators
(12-12-2016, 12:32 PM)hayden Wrote: venam, didn't you create 2bwm?
Everything is a remix.
acg
Members
(12-12-2016, 12:27 PM)venam Wrote: On a side note, it would be nice to have a questionnaire that would answer "which wm should I choose".

That would be kinda cool instead of just having them classified as tiling, floating, etc..,

@hayden i did install some "major" ones when i started looking for a wm. have you tried anything besides i3?
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
hayden
Members
(12-12-2016, 01:49 PM)albertocg Wrote: have you tried anything besides i3?

No, I have not.
jkl
Long time nixers
I can recommend awesome wm (works nicely OOTB) or herbstluftwm (needs tweaking for optimal results). :)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
hades
Long time nixers
2bwm, awesome, herbstuffedwm (I have no idea how to actually spell it), monsterwm, cwm...

My answer is to try them all in no particular order.
hayden
Members
@venam I installed 2bwm from the AUR, and I tried to launch it from GDM. It froze and I had to hard reset. Any tips?
venam
Administrators
(13-12-2016, 10:41 AM)hayden Wrote: @venam I installed 2bwm from the AUR, and I tried to launch it from GDM. It froze and I had to hard reset. Any tips?
No idea about the AUR version, I would install from source.
No idea either about how you start it via GDM.
jkl
Long time nixers
(12-12-2016, 08:30 PM)dbcooper Wrote: 2bwm, awesome, herbstuffedwm (I have no idea how to actually spell it), monsterwm, cwm...

"Herbstluft" is German and means "Autumn air", the typical feeling of the nature outside in a wood or something. :-)

I didn't know monsterwm, bookmarked.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen