Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
sametsisartenep
Members
Thank you all for the replies.

robotchaos, I don't use Plan 9 on a daily basis, but I've been learning about the inner workings and also read the p9p code very often. I can't afford wiping my systems to embrace Plan 9 at the moment, plus I don't have the technical ability to port drivers from other projects, so I think I'll be using Linux and BSD for a long time. I also think Ritchie was amazing, and he clearly represented the Unix philosophy, even on his writing.

pranomostro, I don't think shell scripting shares that much with C or Go, to be honest. There are shells like rc or csh which have a very similar syntax, but they're not even close. On the other hand, I use dash or mksh most of the time, which are POSIX shells, so it's a world on its own. :)

Also C and Go, though similar in essence, are not _that_ similar; Go was developed by Ken and Pike, who, after working on Plan 9 and Inferno for more than a decade, decided to bring a simple, robust language to build distributed systems and infrastructure in the new age. Go is garbage collected, type/memory safe, non OO and has some very cool features like concurrency primitives, CSP-oriented channels for IPC and slices. It also has a powerful stdlib, which I find very pleasing to read. You'll see the syntax resembles that of Limbo, Inferno's main language, which could be considered it's direct predecesor, along with Alef I think (never actually read any code though.)

These days I'm mostly working on theoretical stuff, because there's still a lot I want to learn and I don't plan to go to college any time soon, but you can check some of my projects in my personal repo and GitHub. Feel free to contribute or rant about it (you'll find really horrible code, especially from my webdev days.) :D

jkl, I think that statement is a bit hardcore hahaha. I did C++ in the past and I don't like it, honestly, I find it overcomplicated and the moment you start using templates and OOP constructs, it becomes messy. It's being a while though, but maybe I'm one of those "not smart enough to understand C++". I know it's useful for things like graphics, gaming or high performance computing used in finacial infrastructure (a good alternative to COBOL or Fortran, which people here in Spain seem to like a lot), but it's not for me.

---
sam

Messages In This Thread
Hello nixers! - by sametsisartenep - 23-02-2017, 01:54 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by jkl - 23-02-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by venam - 23-02-2017, 03:59 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by robotchaos - 24-02-2017, 03:54 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by pranomostro - 24-02-2017, 08:19 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by jkl - 24-02-2017, 08:26 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by apk - 24-02-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Hello nixers! - by sametsisartenep - 25-02-2017, 06:49 AM
RE: Hello nixers! - by jkl - 25-02-2017, 09:32 AM