Signal 10 17.86%
None 3 5.36%
Other 11 19.64%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

messaging app - Android & Iphone
r4ndom
Hey,

the world of different messaging applications for phones is wide spreaded. The big four (i guess) are Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook, and Signal, but there are also messenger like Hangouts, Snapshat and so on.

So what do you think about the different apps? Which do you use if any and what do you think about the security side of these? Do you care about your privacy while using them?

I personally use Signal by OpenWhisperSystems, which is open source and provides an Android, iOS and Desktop App. The only thing I'm missing is a comfortable CLI application (this one is available, but it seems a bit clucky). But I dislike the dependency to GApps, since I like to avoid the big players in the internet.

r4ndom
---------------------------

What a random Github page
Halfwit
I just use a signal-like app called Silence
asyncial
I am using WhatsApp for the most part, Signal for the sensitive stuff and Telegram for people, who think it is more secure than WhatsApp. I really dislike Telegram. However, Signal has a beta version without the dependency to the play services.
Besides these, I really like Wire, which just had a successful security audit and recently announced, that they want to open-source their server software.
I also like Antox based on toxcore, which is a really interesting encrypted messaging protocoll. At the moment however, it is still in development.
The one thing I wish for, is compatibility between WhatsApp and Signal, which technically should be easy, because the use of the same protocoll. This way, I could use a free app and still connect with my WhatsApp friends. But this seems to be a dream for now....
jkl
Threema here, occasionally also Signal for those who only gave me their number.
pranomostro
(27-02-2017, 01:13 PM)asyncial Wrote: I also like Antox based on toxcore, which is a really interesting encrypted messaging protocoll. At the moment however, it is still in development.

I use Signal (because Moxie Marlinspike seems like a very trustworthy person, and has also inspired usage of the signal protocol in google allo, facebook messenger and whatsapp).

I also follow tox quite closely and z3bra and me are working on a client for tox (originally by sin and FRIGN, two 2f30/suckless people). The client is called ratox and can be found here. Development is slow, but steady, considering that I'm working full time at the moment. Also, since nobody else uses tox, I rarely have the opportunity to use it.

Edit: also, I have a bit of hope left in tox (it's going forward quite slowly). People have been calling it dead for around two years now, but I'm still confident.
fhee
Dworin
I don't use messaging apps for the joy or beauty of them but simply to communicate. In practice it is mostly whatsapp nowadays because most everyone has that.
r4ndom
(27-02-2017, 01:13 PM)asyncial Wrote: However, Signal has a beta version without the dependency to the play services.
This is nice. Now the only thing missing is a F-Droid entry for it. But anyway I need to check this out right away.

(27-02-2017, 03:00 PM)pranomostro Wrote: I also follow tox quite closely and z3bra and me are working on a client for tox (originally by sin and FRIGN, two 2f30/suckless people). The client is called ratox and can be found here. Development is slow, but steady, considering that I'm working full time at the moment. Also, since nobody else uses tox, I rarely have the opportunity to use it.

I think I read the post on z3bras blog about it. But I must say, I have never heard of tox before.

@fhee:
Like it :)

(27-02-2017, 11:27 PM)Dworin Wrote: In practice it is mostly whatsapp nowadays because most everyone has that.
I abandoned WhatsApp when it got bought by Facebook. I cleaned up my chat history drastically.
---------------------------

What a random Github page
mrtn
Signal, Telegram and sometimes wire.
acg
I use WhatsApp mainly for personal purposes, just because it's the most common here. Beside that I only use Telegram.

Never really keep an eye on any of those, if it's important i'd expect a call and if it's business, and email.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help