Poll: What theme would you choose as the new default theme
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
new dark (current) 5 29.41%
Blank (light plus night mode/dark version) 12 70.59%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello fellow nixers,
This thread is about your opinion on the new nixers.net default theme.

As you might have read multiple times around the forums:
The current (new dark) default theme is not that great
The skin is *fucked* up
We want a new theme but also have a preference for the current one

And thus here we are.
I've spend the last days implementing a new theme+layout which I named "Blank".
It's the first theme that resizes well on mobile (minus for the user control panel.)

I've heard more than once that the "new dark" theme didn't have enough contrast and that it was hard for some to read.

The CSS for the theme is simplistic, if you open it on github you notice there are only 8 primary colors, which makes it easy to customize.

The layout is more minimalistic than the previous one.
Some have commented that this looked a bit jagged/compacted/constrained/confusing.

In this thread I'd like to get your opinions on the themes.
Maybe also cast a vote to see what the community prefers.

If you want to have a new theme/layout or change of colors I urge you to provide a mockup of what it'll look like, as with many community projects there is a lot of talk and not a lot of actual concrete output.

Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/RVCiM

Overall, we're in need of refreshment.
greduan
Long time nixers
I think new themes, light and dark would help. I think I'd be OK with making the CSS, considering it's my daily job. lol

Indeed current black one has too little contract, font size is a bit small, and in general I'd say it needs more loving from the whitespace.
venam
Administrators
(23-03-2017, 03:14 AM)greduan Wrote: I think new themes, light and dark would help. I think I'd be OK with making the CSS, considering it's my daily job. lol
Would you be able to share a mockup of what the theme layout and colors would be?
mrtn
Members
I really like your Blank Theme, venam. That's the reason I adapted the colors to solarized dark. Why did I not vote for Blank + Solarized then? Because we're talking default theme. I think as a default, a light, welcoming theme is better. Plus I believe it won't clash as much with a riced system than mine does.
venam
Administrators
(23-03-2017, 05:38 AM)mrtn Wrote: Because we're talking default theme. I think as a default, a light, welcoming theme is better.
Indeed, I've heard many that brought forward the same thought: that the current (new dark) isn't very welcoming.

There's also a way to change the theme, once you login, hence the question about *default* theme.
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
I agree, the Blank theme is nice as a default. It is a bonus that it resizes on mobiles as well, as I imagine more and more users are on their phones and/or tablets.

I could do with a shot of rum right now.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
You know my opinion. I love the blank theme!
For the idea about solarized, well, let's be honest I truly hate it. I don't like the colors, and think they don't fit well together, so I prefer keeping the blank theme as it is.
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
(23-03-2017, 09:12 AM)z3bra Wrote: prefer keeping the blank theme as it is.

It would be nice to have a dark version as well for those that prefer it.

venam
Administrators
(23-03-2017, 09:30 AM)pyratebeard Wrote: It would be nice to have a dark version as well for those that prefer it.
Definitely, we're gonna keep the other themes and add new color versions of the ones that are already there.
However, this thread is about the default theme.
evbo
Members
I actually like it the way it is. The only change I could see is making text a little brighter to contrast the dark background.
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
(23-03-2017, 09:52 AM)venam Wrote: However, this thread is about the default theme.
Understand, and stick by my vote for Blank. Keep up the good work man!

greduan
Long time nixers
(23-03-2017, 03:24 AM)venam Wrote:
(23-03-2017, 03:14 AM)greduan Wrote: I think new themes, light and dark would help. I think I'd be OK with making the CSS, considering it's my daily job. lol
Would you be able to share a mockup of what the theme layout and colors would be?
I am a dev, not a designer. :)

What I meant is I have no problem implementing.

Have you considered a theme like lobste.rs'? Dark on light is easier to read in, generally (after a while of reading white on black stuff looks fuzzy).
venam
Administrators
(23-03-2017, 01:09 PM)greduan Wrote: Have you considered a theme like lobste.rs'? Dark on light is easier to read in, generally (after a while of reading white on black stuff looks fuzzy).
Actually, the "Blank" theme is very similar to it.
Take a look.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I'd say, we make the default the one that works the best. Objectively, I'd say it's Blank, as it works for both desktops/mobiles/tablets, and we don't want a default theme to be broken. For now, this is the only theme we have that works perfectly and stick to the community spirit (minimalism, simpleness), so we should go with it.

Now if someone think it is not "cool" enough for a default, then we'll reconsider this question when a "cooler" theme will pop up. But for now, let's stick with it.
Adrift
Members
I think that a dark varient of Blank would be good at serving the purpose of "night mode" viewing, especially with having it work on mobile, and given that many apps have this feature.

For example: you could go as simply as same blue, and something like bg #333333, fg #999999. Some super simple toggle thing, added as a text link somewhere, not even a separate theme.

I don't know if that's more of a feature request or what have you. But, these are my (subjective) suggestions for being more friendly to the masses.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(24-03-2017, 05:57 AM)Adrift Wrote: I think that a dark varient of Blank would be good at serving the purpose of "night mode" viewing, especially with having it work on mobile, and given that many apps have this feature.

For example: you could go as simply as same blue, and something like bg #333333, fg #999999. Some super simple toggle thing, added as a text link somewhere, not even a separate theme.

I don't know if that's more of a feature request or what have you. But, these are my (subjective) suggestions for being more friendly to the masses.

This thread is not "what theme would you like?", it's about having a default theme, so decide which one of the existing themes would be the best for people browsing the forum without being logged in.
If you log in, you can choose whatever theme is already present (in the user control panel), and apply it to your session. There are dark themes, so if you want it you can have it. If you want a new theme you can work on it and submit it, or even ask someone to do it for you. But please do so in another thread, as it is a different topic.

As for the "toggle", I don't think it's possible as it would require to edit the myBB source code to include this "toggle" mode feature.
venam
Administrators
(24-03-2017, 08:45 AM)z3bra Wrote: If you log in, you can choose whatever theme is already present (in the user control panel), and apply it to your session. There are dark themes, so if you want it you can have it. If you want a new theme you can work on it and submit it, or even ask someone to do it for you. But please do so in another thread, as it is a different topic.
I concur.

(24-03-2017, 08:45 AM)z3bra Wrote: As for the "toggle", I don't think it's possible as it would require to edit the myBB source code to include this "toggle" mode feature.
This is entirely possible, maybe a "Night Mode" button can be added next to the "Help at the bottom of the page.

However, it isn't straight forward for someone that randomly stumbles on the forums and begins browsing it to find that button.
As for registered users they already have the control panel and wouldn't need the toggle.
Adrift
Members
@z3bra, and probably venam, I didn't actually mention my preference at all, perhaps you both need to re-read my post. I use my own css combined with new dark or Blank, so most of your response is useless, and the rest isn't worth replying to.

@venam, The fact is that a lot of users are likely going to be coming from reddit which has a night mode not only on the phone app, but the mobile website as well.

I somehow severely doubt that it "isn't straight forward enough" for people to understand, as it's actually used quite often. People can't figure out the quote system, yet that is unchanged.

I figured since you were so happy to have it working on mobile, this would be a worthwhile feature to complete the new defualt theme. Also people tend to lurk for a long time without signing up, so the whole registered users thing as an argument is a moot point.

Unless this "toggle" takes a tremendous amount of work to implement, I think arguing about it is stupid.
venam
Administrators
(24-03-2017, 11:14 PM)Adrift Wrote: @venam, The fact is that a lot of users are likely going to be coming from reddit which has a night mode not only on the phone app, but the mobile website as well.
Nice, I didn't know there was a night mode on reddit website.
I can't find it though, maybe this is what you're referring to.

In all cases, I'll build a "Night Mode" button and we'll see how it goes.
Adrift
Members
Here is a screencap on my phone not logged in without RES or anything. Apparently it is called night theme / day theme, and I simply clicked on the three lines on the right to arrive here.

EDIT: and here is it with the night theme.
venam
Administrators
(25-03-2017, 02:23 AM)venam Wrote: In all cases, I'll build a "Night Mode" button and we'll see how it goes.
I've added a "Night Mode" button to the "Blank" theme.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
The night mode is indeed pretty cool!
venam
Administrators
(27-03-2017, 03:21 AM)z3bra Wrote: The night mode is indeed pretty cool!
It still needs some polishing to make it work properly on mobile but it's a start.
venam
Administrators
I've updated the poll with the two that attracted the most attention.
You can vote again between both of those, and please test them thoroughly before voting and remember that this theme is directed towards new users and not current ones.
acg
Members
Blank convinced me last night when using it on the phone. It looks great and I'm able to use it without cons. Even on desktop works nice.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
Halfwit
Members
I like the blank and night mode. It's awesome on my phone
venam
Administrators
For those still wondering what are the differences, here are some screenshots.
venam
Administrators
It's still tied.
Maybe everyone could clarify why they want their choice to be the default theme.
josuah
Long time nixers
The Blank theme gives me the impression of fine typography. Probably with the single colour background and the lines to delimit posts.

It breaks with skeuomorphism further more, while not slipping into the material design slope (which is defined as skeuomorphism even in the name).

There was not skeuomorphism before, but now this makes nixers.net feel like a journal more than a webapp.
fre d die
Members
(29-03-2017, 09:17 AM)venam Wrote: It's still tied.
Maybe everyone could clarify why they want their choice to be the default theme.
hmm, coming back to it now i think i like the dark blank theme the most